Chapter 26

Chapter 26: jealous of the clouds

"Hi baby bro," Bati ni Ate. I placed the bouquet beside his tombstone and sat on the grass close to it.

"Musta?" She stared at his tombstone like it was a precious piece of diamond.

"It's been a few months already since you know... I miss you," pain. The pain was evident in her voice. I know she's just trying to hold her tears back.

"Ate naman, huwag ka ng umiyak." Suway ko sakanya.

"I can feel his embrace..." she whispered while silently crying.

"Ate ang creepy." Pagbibiro ko. I don't want to cry. I should stay strong.

"Eyes don't lie, Axel." She looked at me. I just smiled, as if I don't know that. Her eyes talked to me, it looked so pitiful 

"Should I really let you go? Hindi pa 'ko handa, ee. It's still so fresh." She said as if like she was whispering because her voice was just as soft.

"I'm jealous of the clouds... how come they can reach you and I can't? How come they can see you and be with you up there, and I can't? How come the horizon can meet you, and I can't? I miss you big time." With that, a teardrop fell from her eyes. 

Tahimik lang ako sa gilid. At some point alam ko naman na nararamdaman niya yung presensya ko. Ayaw ko lang talagang umiyak. Pagod na 'ko ee. Kahit kailan hindi ko inakalang mapapagod ako. 

I never thought that day would come, kasi dapat handa ako. The moment I left for my dreams I was ready to keep on going without being tired and drained. 

Pero bakit naubos na'ko? Lahat ng lakas ko nabigay ko na, ee... Wala ng natira... 

We stayed for almost three hours until we decided we should really go. Ate was just getting weaker the longer we stayed there. I just didn't want to see her get weaker than what she is now. It hurts, knowing I can't do anything to take her pain away. 

"You think, masaya na kaya siya doon?" Biglang tanong ni ate saakin, kabuhay ko ng makina ng sasakyan. 

I was held back because of her question. How would I know? I wish I can know. 

"Maybe, maybe that's why he left... he left because that's his paradise." I'm sorry ate... I also don't know the answer to your question. 

And I drove away. 

A decade 

10 years passed. A decade passed, I can finally say I reached my dreams. Sa wakas naabot ko na ang mga pangarap ko. 

"Good morning capt!" One of my aircrews greeted me when I arrived at the plane.

"Good morning" I greeted back. 

May flight ako sa New York ngayon, took me a long time before I decided to really accept flights to NYC. I'm scared that we may somehow accidentally meet? I don't think I'm ready for that right now. 

I mean yes, a decade had passed already, she should've reached her dreams as well now. She's probably one of the best surgeons they have there. I just know she is, she always has that perseverance in her. 

Maybe if she sees me after a decade pain will come back to her, the pain I caused will come back to her. And I don't want that. That's the last thing I want her to feel. 

"Capt, tubig?" One crew asked, 

I took the bottle and said thanks. "Thank you."

"Bakit ganon! Ang traffic!" Napatingin ako sa likod nang may narinig akong boses sa cockpit. Pinagpapawisan pa siya.