Chapter 11. Part 2.

After that icebreaking Sunday he invited me over to his studio again and this time when I showed up he pointed to the big flat sofa in the corner 

"That's new!" I say. 

" I just bought it. Figured visitors may need a place to rest." 

I inch closer to the sofa, assessing it. "You don't have visitors." Except for me. 

Did he order this just for me to come over? That's wishful, don't even go there. He shows the new water boiler next to the coffee maker 

"And that's for tea-lovers." 

He really bought these for me, didn't he? I'm impressed. When he sees my doubt, he clarifies 

"You can rest on the sofa when you feel tired while I'm busy drawing. I noticed you get tired easily." 

Ah. Darn it. Why is he so considerate all of a sudden? 

"Why?" I ask in a small voice sitting on the edge of the sofa. 

"I thought we could hang out more that way" 

I lie down on the sofa trying its mattress underneath me 

"It's soft and comfy. But I don't need a resting place. I'm not that fragile" 

He sits on his usual stool holding his board 

"I beg the differ. Everyone needs to rest. Feel free to get some tea whenever you need it. Now I have to finish this sketch before ideas run out on me."

 He gets busy after saying that and I look around to find something to distract myself from his focused side face, that glows in the morning light like a Greek god in all glory. I find an art magazine in the pile of scattered stationaries on the coffee table and randomly flip pages to find something eye-catching. It's a useless action since my eyes avert every few seconds to land on his cheekbones and his earnest eyes, sealed to the board. How can he be so wholesome? I don't know if I want him more or I envy him more? Or both? Finally, my eyes drift to the magazine and I start reading an article. It's interesting and I read for quite some time before I find out he has gotten up from his stool to get some coffee in his body. He catches my eyes 

"Tea for you?" 

I get up "I can do it. Thanks." 

"It's just pressing a button." And the water is already boiling. 

I put the magazine aside to sit properly "So, how does it work? Like you help me by making me your apprentice as the old masters used to do? Or I'm an underling?" 

He laughs and sits next to me "That's a stupid term." 

I scooch over to make room for him. 

"I think we established I'm stupid" I point out. 

He scans me before reaching and ruffling my hair in a lazy gesture 

"No. We didn't. And don't sell yourself short" 

The light and swift movement of his playful fingers through my hair send a vibrating feeling to the pit of my stomach. 

I study him "I noticed you never touch people let alone patting them." 

He stares at me with a carefree smile 

"Does that bother you?" 

"No! I love it" I say without thinking but he doesn't read much into it. Nothing seems to be able to shake him or surprise him. 

"Your hair, the texture is irresistible." He confesses. 

This is probably one of those moments that gets quickly awkward if one of us doesn't speak in less than five seconds. So, I jump to rescue with the first thing that comes to mind 

"Your fiancé... I heard she is shooting in Japan. Is she coming back anytime soon?" 

Is that question too much prying? His expression changes 

"I thought you didn't follow the news" 

"I don't. Hyung told me. I didn't mean to be nosy by asking." 

I pause to find something. 

"Aren't you supposed to be busy with tv interviews and photo shoots after your series has ended? Normally you should be up to promoting the series nonstop." 

I try to change the subject and he chooses to take the bait 

"I've decided not to make myself suffer like that after a certain age." 

He gets up to bring us the beverages. 

"When I was younger, I was desperate to be seen, to have as many jobs offers as possible. Now, however, all I want is to have time for myself and appear in a movie once in a while. I believe there should be always an ending to someone's career. I'd like to retire someday." 

He brings the mugs back to the sofa and places them between us. 

"Thanks. I also think there should be an ending. Eternity is scary" 

I mutter. He stares at me for a few second 

"I swear I will kill that bastard Joon Woo. He poisons whatever he touches, he is like a leach, exploiting people, sucking the life out of them" 

What does that have anything with Hyung's exploitive nature? 

"Huh?" 

He holds the mug close to his lips but not sipping 

"It's so scary to see vulnerable people being close to that kind of human. It terrified me to know he has found another troubled kid on his side. Do you see him regularly?" 

"We talk on the phone." 

The last time I pestered him to give those letters to Dae Sung he said that he was going to do so but Dae Sung got engaged shortly after my death so he couldn't disturb the newfound peace in Dae Sung's life and threaten his love life by receiving confession from a dead boy. I didn't think about it that way but it made sense. 

"I know you're surprised by my hostility toward him but believe me that I have had also been in some traumatic incidents involving him." 

Hearing that makes me furious. "What has he done to you? Did he do something horrible?" 

He takes in the coffee scent "Worse. He made me do something horrible." 

I don't know how Hyung ended up being the antagonist in this story but if he ever dared to make Dae Sung feel this way only God can save him from me.