The End: The Return

Mulai dari awal

I looked so happy.

I said, "I don't know what to do."

"Smile. Don't smile. Close your eyes, no peeking," Tom instructed. I did everything he told me to do, and I was chuckling along about how difficult it was for me not to smile.

"I'm not."

"No smiling."

"I'm not."

I couldn't see what was happening off screen, but there was a flash of green in front of the camera and I saw the mistletoe that Tom held above our heads. I almost forgot about that. When my eyes opened, I looked confused until I saw the mistletoe.

"Where did you get that?" I had chuckled.

"Same place I got your present," he answered and gave me a kiss. "Speaking of which, you've got to open yours now."

The camera was set down on the floor and I could only see our crossed legs beside each other, and up to our chins. I could see the blue fleece pajama pants I wore that night peeking out from my robe.

"You promised me no gifts." I remember that I made him promise not to get me anything because my birthday is so close to the holidays.

"You and I both know that that was an empty promise," he said placed the gift in my hands.

"You still have a couple more to open," I said in a calm voice.

"I will later," he said.

"Fine. Is it... orchid seeds?" I asked and shook the box.

"Easy with the shaking."

The white wrapping paper fell down to my lap as I opened my gift. I could see myself open the gift, but I could not see my facial reaction.

"Tom..."

Tom took the promise ring out of the box and cleared his throat nervously before he said, "this ring is a promise to remain faithful, and I will always be there for you. This ring is a symbol of my love and my commitment to you. I want you to know that I do have intentions to marry you, and it will be replaced with an engagement ring one day."

I looked down at my hand and twirled that very ring around my finger. It still looked as dazzling as it did fresh out of the box, and it still meant so much to me. I never had a reason to take it off.

"Tom!" I squealed and threw myself onto Tom, tackling him to the floor and rolled with him on the rug. In our tussle, someone accidentally kicked the video camera so it started recording us from its side. I tilted my head to watch the recording sideways. I had so much energy back then, but it was Tom who made me feel so alive. You could really see that I had opened up my heart and let that fool rush in. I've always thought of him as my person, and my one true love. It was hard to wrap my head around the fact that he was gone, and I'll never be in his embrace nor kiss him again.

I felt my face grow warm when I saw myself laying on top of Tom, giving him kisses. He grabbed me and switched places so I was laying on the floor and he was carefully straddling my waist. He brought the ring up to my eyes and I gave him my hand, and he slid the ring onto my finger. He leaned down to give me a kiss and I said, "thank you, I love you."

"I love you too. I'm so in love with you," he said and gave me another kiss.

I smiled softly, wishing I could relive that day. I was ready to grow young again and live out the best days of my life. My heart of fire had grown cold.