The End: The Return

Start from the beginning

I sat cross-legged in front of the television screen like a child watching the Saturday morning cartoons. I was wearing one of Tom's dark red sweatshirts that I've kept for decades. I hugged myself and let the fabric bunch under my nose and trace amounts of his cologne still lingered on it. Maybe I should buy his cologne and spray his clothes with it so it's like he's still here.

I never imagined we'd end like this. His name will forever be the name on my lips.

The screen first showed only a white noise before the video played. The video on the screen jumbled a bit before landing on Tom, and in the background you could hear me say, "I think it's rolling."

The camera quality was so fuzzy, but I could still hear the audio pretty well. It was so retro. Oh, the 80's.

My heart almost stopped when I saw Tom. He looked so young. Seeing him again made me smile, and watching the clip made me remember how goofy he was. He wiggled his fingers at the camera, and then flicked his tongue in and out, and I could hear my laugh in the background.

"Tom Hanson, always a professional," I giggled

The camera backed away from Tom's face and he asked while pointing to the camera, "when that stops recording, we will be able to watch it?"

"Yeah, if I'm doing it right," I chuckled.

"That's pretty cool," Tom said. His went back to being his goofy self by wiggling his tongue in and out of his mouth at the camera.

Then, the camera zoomed closer and closer to Tom's face, until just his eyes were on the screen

Then, the camera zoomed closer and closer to Tom's face, until just his eyes were on the screen. He blinked a few times, and I realized just how much I missed looking into those eyes. He repeatedly widened his eyes at the camera before they squinted when he smiled.

"This can zoom!" My voice said.

"Lemme see," Tom said and soon the camera was shaking between us before being pointed at me. The camera was still zoomed in, so I could only see my eyes. "Awe, look at you. How do I... I see," Tom said and got the camera to zoom out. I looked so young. I was wearing a gray bathrobe, covering my pajamas. I was sitting cross legged beside the Christmas tree of my first apartment, and I smiled at Tom. I remember feeling almost embarrassed that a camera was on me. I stuck my tongue out at the camera and made a funny face. Tom chuckled, and I laughed.