Chapter 20|| Today Was A Day Without Her

+2 years later+
Katniss' POV
Hollie and Hope are 2 now, and Harmony and Hayden are 4. Annie and Finnick are doing perfect with their kids, Fisher, 3 years old, and Cecilia, 1 year old. Johanna and Fitch have a girl, Paige, 1 years old, and they are hoping for another. We still have not heard from Madge but so far all we know is that she has a new born baby with... Gale. Their abusive relationship was fake and they really love eachother and their boy, Ross.

"Mommy. I want to go to school now!" Harmony demands. I laugh.

"Okay honey, we are just waiting on your brother." She crosses her arms and flips her braids over her shoulders. I smile at her.

"Okay, will you help Mommy out and go get him?" I offer.

"Yay! I help Mommy." Then she runs up the stairs. I pack up her backpack with her folder, crayons, pencils, and any other stuff she needs for the year. I pack Hayden's up the same way. Then they both run down the stairs with Peeta behind them.

"Okay, time to go, do you all know where the school is and how to get home?" They nod their heads. I have shown them the path that leads to school at least a hundred times and Peeta painted it for them.

"Have a good day! I will miss you all." Tears fill my eyes as I scoop Hayden into my arms.

"You be good okay baby boy." I squeeze him tighter.

"Okay Mommy. I love you." He wraps his arms around my neck.

"I love you too." I kiss him on the forehead and set him on the ground. I kneel down and hug Harmony. She is crying with me.

"I don't wanna leave Mommy." Harmony sniffles.

"You will be fine. Don't get into any trouble." I kiss her cheek.

"I love you." She kisses me on the lips.

"I love you too baby girl. I will see you right after school." I let go and help them put on their backpacks.

"Bye!" Peeta and I wave.

"Bye!" The leave and start to down the path. Peeta and I watch them until we can no longer see them. I start to cry and Peeta lifts me into his arms.

"It's okay Kat." He soothes.

"I know but it seems like just Yesterday, we were sitting at the hospital and they were so..." I struggle for the word, "innocent." I let go of Peeta's strong embrace and walk inside. I see Hollie and Hope are awake.

"Hi girlies." I greet and they giggle.

"Hi Mama!" Hope yells.

"Hope, shhh. It is early in the morning." I scold.

"Sorry Mama, Can we play with Fisher and Ceci today?" Hope asks.

"Sure!" I agree.

"Peeta! Can you call Finn and see if Fisher and Ceci can play!" I call to Peeta.

"Yeah! Sure baby!" He replies.

"Thank you!" I call back. "Now, let's go get you all ready for Fisher and Ceci!" They laugh as I chassse them up the stairs. I put them in matching dresses which have pink floral print and have no sleeves. I braid Hope's hair into 2 braids and put a pink bow in, then I pin back Hollie's curly blonde hair into a pink flower bow.

"Thanks Mama!" They thank and then hug me tightly.

"Aww your welcome girlies." Then I pick them up and carry them downstairs.

"Peeta, did they say yes?" I ask him.

"Yeah, they will be over in about 10 minutes." Peeta replies.

"YAY!" The girls scream. We laugh at them. I go upstairs to get ready. I put on some jean shorts with a green T-shirt that tucks into them. Then I put my hair in a high bun and apply a little make up. Then I get a text from Annie.

Annie🎀😘- Hey Kat, Ceci threw a fit and we will be about 20 minutes late. Sorry!😕

Me- It's okay Ann! Come over whenever you are ready.

I walk downstairs to tell my family. "Guys! Annie and Finn are running late so it will be a little longer." I tell them. The girls look a little disappointed but not too much.

"Hey Peeta, what is today's date?" I ask and his smile disappears.

"Uhh..." He stutters, "I-I have no clue." He lies.

"Peeta, it is just a date, tell me." I command.

"Uhhmmm... M-May 21st." He says under his breath. As the words stumble out of his mouth, they taunt me. I wish words were like little toy guns, no pain, no smoke, no bullet, just a bang bang rolling off your tongue. Today is the 2 year anniversary of my sweet, innocent babies death. Halle should not be gone. She does not deserve it, she should be here with us.

"Today, we are going to her grave." I say suddenly, but without hesitation.

"That is fine by me, it is right near a field for the kids." Peeta agrees.

Today, our kids played on a graveyard. Today, was a day full of tears. Today, was the day my daughter died. Today, was my kids first day of school. Today, was a day that should have been spent with 7 kids, not 6.

Hello...

Today, was a day where I finally updated. I hope you all like this happy/sad chapter. I was gonna make it all happy but if it is 2 years later, exactly, then it would be the anniversary of her death. Oh, and yes. I did use the real date. If you have a problem with that then we can fight, irl.
~Alexis💋