Preview: Birds and Prey

Chapter 1: Jeweled Crows

Wind swept from the peaks of the Hell’s Teeth, up through the red and gold leaves of the treetops that housed the elven court of Edenost.

To Lady Sade, known to most as Laire’s Pet or sometimes Little Bird, the wind seemed an endless weeping. She woke to the wind’s sobs, ate and performed her duties as Princess Lairelithoniel’s handmaiden in the whisper of the wind’s lament, and, when, she curled up at night in a sumptuous pile of pillows at the foot of the princess’s bed, the wind haunted Sade’s dreams.

Though the wind frightened her, she also found it comforting. It was the only constant in her life here. And, while she didn’t understand why the wind mourned, she empathized with its pain, as she carried a similar, nameless wound in her own heart.

Princess Lairelithoniel -- or Laire, as most called her -- had commanded Sade to be dressed appropriately for the midmorning feast.

Sade stood in the center of the princess’s dressing chamber, while the lower courtiers swept around her, a flock of crows ordering Sade to move this way and that as they draped her in silk and jewels. She would have preferred to eat from her tray in the princess’s rooms, rather than be put on display in the Great Hall at the princess’s feet. Though Sade had been told her place as Laire’s handmaiden was one of honor, there was always a cruelty in the princess’s smiles, and an edge to her compliments that made Sade feel small.

She wished she could remember her life before the court -- before Edenost. But, the few times she’d dared ask, Laire had waved Sade’s concerns away, while the other elves had looked on with fear or pity, and said nothing.

“Oh, Little Bird, this will be so lovely in your hair!” Melda, differentiated from the others only by the shock of white running through her long, thick braid, held a jeweled comb in front of Sade’s eyes.

“Thank you,” Sade said. She was grateful for the kindness. None of the others even attempted to explain what they were doing, and, unlike those of the princess, Melda’s eyes didn’t shine with mirth whenever Sade felt confused or out of place.

Melda nodded. She pushed the comb into Sade’s short, thick curls.

Sade knew she didn’t look like the other elves. They were tall, with skin as pale as moonlight on water, black eyes with no differentiation between pupil and iris, and ears that drew up to tapered points. In contrast, Sade was brown, with a round face, round ears, and thick, wild brown curls.

Just as Melda set the last comb in Sade’s hair, and another elf tied the dress into place, the princess entered.

“Oh!” Laire said, raising her hand to her throat in an expression of delight. “Yes, that is almost perfect!”

The courtiers stepped back as the Princess Laire approached. They didn’t chatter amongst themselves as they had before; instead they huddled together in expectant silence.

“Yes…”

Laire cupped Sade’s face in both of her palms. As always, the princess’s touch sent pleasure through Sade’s body, making the inside of her pussy throb with need. “Your face is perfect,” Laire said, “and I love how the gold brings some vibrancy to your skin. It is quite lovely and soft.” She rubbed her thumb over Sade’s cheek. “If I could figure out how, I’d have this exact texture for my pillows.”

Trembling, Sade forced a smile.

As good as the princess’s touch felt, Sade hated it when Laire came this close to her. The pleasure beat a sharp counterpoint to the unending pain in Sade’s chest, and she had trouble breathing.

“But…” Laire tightened her grip and squinted at Sade’s lips. “What is this color? Burnished copper?! My pet needs something brighter, you fool!”

Laire released Sade’s jaw, leaving Sade breathless, her body a confused mix of alarm, disappointment, and relief.

The princess crooked her finger toward the group of courtiers. One stepped forward as though against her will. She held the errant stick of copper coloring in her hand.

“My apologies, my princess,” the elf said. She was small and pale. Her entire face was covered by a wave of inky hair, as she threw herself to her knees in front of Laire.

“Did you mean to shame me, Naira?” Laire let go of Sade’s face, and rested a hand atop the prostrate elf’s head. “Was that your plan? To make a fool of me…

THANK YOU FOR READING! I HOPE YOU LIKE THIS BOOK. IF YOU WANT TO READ THE SEQUEL, ON YOUR KINDLE, NOOK, TABLET, OR IPHONE, CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW TITLED "EXTERNAL LINK."