Chapter 8: The Elven King

Making love to Sade was like sipping moonlight wine, like the time when Aranion and Meldigur, for the final test of their ranger training, had left the World Trees and scaled Vardainiel’s Peak to watch the sunrise above the clouds.

As Aranion made love to Sade twice in Meldigur’s home, he thought he might find himself sated, but each climax made him want her more.

He’d imagined himself in love once before, long ago, when he’d had the black hair of a child and found himself enamored of the second youngest of Lord Eruantien’s daughters. Her family had only been afforded a title after her grandfather had proven himself in war against the Edenost court five centuries ago.  Eruantien herself had been a decade older than Aranion and a century more knowledgeable; she’d led him to her bower with light, teasing touches, as they held each other and danced beneath the stars. He’d thought himself in love as he plumbed the Lady’s depths, binding her wrists in silk and laying sweet kisses on her neck.

But their passion had faded in the autumn, when Aranion’s father, the Elven King, had called both youths to his private chamber and said they were as free to quell their passions with each other as they liked, but they would never marry; she would never be queen.

Eruantien’s interest had ended abruptly with that proclamation, leaving him alone and betrayed both by her and his father who valued the crown more than his son’s happiness.

For five years, Aranion had refused to speak to his father. He had chosen the rangers for his apprenticeship -- a decision with which none of the Lords, nor Aranion’s father, had agreed.

But now, in Sade’s arms, he felt as if the poison of that betrayal – both that of Lady Eruantien and that of Aranion’s father himself – had drained from the wound. He no longer felt embittered. After all, had he married Lady Eruantien, he would never have known Sade, and his soul would be incomplete.

By the time Aranion and Sade finally left the baths, it was well past midday, and they were hungry again. Ever the showman, Meldigur had laid out for Sade a formal robe of flowing gold, red, and black silk, that made her look like she was haloed in living flame.

Even as she tied the belt about her waist, Aranion wanted to strip it off of her again, running kisses down her neck and shoulders -- and below. He wanted to taste her and touch her until she was once again shaking with desire…

Sade looked up, and her cheeks darkened beneath his gaze. The water had softened her hair, and now it fell in a thick wave of tight, dark curls around her face. She ran her tongue over her full lips.

No, Aranion told himself, even as he felt his body respond. They’d already been here for hours, and Meldigur could return at any time with the Elven King. It would not be a great idea for Aranion and Sade to be in the throes of lovemaking when they arrived. 

As if agreeing with Aranion’s thoughts, Sade’s stomach growled. Her cheeks flushed even darker, and she averted her gaze.

“We should eat,” Aranion said, smiling at her.

Like most elves, Meldigur had a food cabinet that could be opened with a simple incantation, which Aranion now performed. It was a calculated risk – he was using a touch of magic, but, with any luck, not enough to be detected and identified, unless someone happened to be searching for Aranion within the bounds of the court at this very moment. Considering that he’d been on the run for close to a week, Aranion doubted that that would be the case.

Aranion chose for them a simple lunch -- spiced mushroom stew, sweet-meats, and a delicate, purple-flower tea that would relax them without robbing either of them of their wits or faculties – and they settled down to eat.