Nine

Somewhere with a Monarchy, 1835

Sir Leopold or Leo, was actually quite interesting. He proved himself to be a polite gentleman with enough sense to listen and actually take my ideas into account. His only flaw was his tendency to turn the conversation so it was about him. We fenced numerous times throughout the days we spent together, and everything was going smoothly.

Which was code for Damien was leaving me alone.

Since he hadn't proposed to any one of the damsels at the celebration, it was extended to another week. The extra two days initially weren't enough, and I didn't care. Leo was treating me right and that was all I cared about.

"So would you like to go on another ride today?" Leo asked, walking beside me down the corridor with his gloved hands behind his back. He looked almost princely in his freshly pressed white uniform and gilded duchy medals. 

"That sounds lovely," I said, looking up to see his reaction.

It was a soft smile that lit up his face only for me, and I knew he was looking forward to another one of our talks. 

We debated about numerous things when we were together, from politics to the type of dresses that should or shouldn't be in fashion as of late. He believed that purple and gold were the perfect color combination and deserved to be acknowledged as such, but I disagreed and loved the newly widespread color of teal with black lace, like my masquerade dress.

On the outside, Leo and I's sudden closeness seemed like the picture perfect romance, but there is always gossip that follows a lord and lady showing interest in each other at a celebration, and this time it was no different. I was called nasty things like 'prince hopper' and 'power grabber'. Leo happened to be the second most desirable man at the celebration, given his stance as an almost most powerful man, second only to Damien. But Damien no longer mattered to me.

He had his chance, it was Leo's turn.

"Have your views about color schemes for women's dresses been enlightened?" I teased, watching Leopold's eyebrow scrunch up in concentration, as if my question was a complicated maths problem or it was a life or death situation. He always took our talks that serious.

"Of course not!" he finally exclaimed. "In fact, I believe you need to reevaluate your tastes. I have some connections back home, if this works out."

I blushed. What Leo was implying was a lifetime of freedom with him, in his country estate. I may have not been ready for that level of commitment, but it was a comforting thought that Leo was thinking that way.

"Well then, I guess I'll just have to prove you and your connections wrong for you to see the light!" I lightly fanned myself as if that was simply too much work.

Leo grinned at my antics, "Come on, the horses are ready. I had a thought that you might like a ride today before it gets dark."

I smiled at Leo and took his hand. We strode the length of the breezeway we'd been leisurely strolling through and walked into the corridor leading us to the stables.

The stables smelled of horse hair, manure, and straw. While most would be repulsed, after a quick breath through my mouth, I felt like I was back on my aunt's farm. Before she passed on, my Aunt Celia owned thirty-four acres of land. Sometimes she planted on half of it, sometimes she planted on three quarters of it, but she always left room for her horses to run.

She owned a horse, Daisy, that I fell in love with at first sight. Speckled brown, white, and black, with furious blue eyes, we had an instant bond.

I didn't know where in the world she was at this moment, but I hoped she was happy.

"Come along!" Leo laughed as he watched my far-off look fade into nothing.