i. 𝚜𝚝𝚊𝚛𝚔, 𝚋𝚊𝚛𝚗𝚎𝚜, 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚛𝚘𝚐𝚎𝚛𝚜

Start from the beginning

Bucky noticed the paper in Evelyn's hand, reaching around her waist with a knowing look on his face before ripping it from her grip when she tried to hide it further. Mouthing, "Sorry," to Steve, he shrugged since he already knew what was coming.

"How many times is this?" Bucky asked with a scowl. "Oh, you're from Paramus now? You know it's illegal to lie on the enlistment form. And seriously, Jersey?"

Evelyn bit her lip before saying, "Buck," softly. He turned, his own gaze falling to her ripped dress. "Don't start." He nodded, remembering their conversation once before about keeping the comments to himself. Steve just wanted to partake like every able man in the war while Bucky just wanted Steve and Evelyn as far as they could be away from it. He already had one on the inside, he was terrified for Steve to enter as well.

Steve noticed his outfit finally, realizing it was his uniform. He grew sad. "You get your orders?"

"The one-o-seventh. Sergeant James Barnes. Shipping out for England first thing tomorrow," Bucky said, purposely turning his head away from Evelyn to not see her face at his words. He knew the face would be one that made him rethink every decision he had ever made.

Steve did notice her face, however. Evelyn's expression grew worried and angry all at once before she muttered in a rant, "I should be going to dinner. Late enough that Howard'll beat me there. I need to go home and change."

Bucky quickly grabbed her hand that was gesturing to her dress and said, "Come on, doll."

"I'm late for a dinner," she repeated, "and Howard's–"

"You're already late. Just miss it."

"—going to hold it over my head for the rest of my life–"

Steve grinned as they talked over one another. It happened too often.

"It won't hurt you to miss one dinner, especially to hang out with us."

"—so don't try and have me come out tonight just for you to leave me tomorrow—"

"I'm not doing this just to leave you! You know I have to go!"

"—and anyway, it's Howard's dinner before his show at the Expo, so I have to go—"

"No, you don't. How many dinners does he miss? I bet he's not even there. Come on, Lyn!"

"—oh, that's mean, Buck! He's a busy man—"

"Evelyn," Bucky groaned, covering her mouth with his hand. Steve watched the scene in amusement, leaning on the nearest wall as he ignored the pain in his jaw. He watched Evelyn narrow her eyes at Bucky as if to ask why the hell his hand was still on her perfectly makeup'd face. He still never understood why Evelyn Stark stood by their side all of these years.

The trio was the oddest of all trios. Evelyn Stark, the genius, doctor, scientist, overall wonder woman. Bucky Barnes, the badass jerk who always stood up for Steve and Evelyn, soon-to-be war hero, and overall best man. Then, Steve Rogers. What was he? A punk. He only saw himself as the scrawny best friend they tagged along because they felt bad.

The truth was far from that, of course.

They had met in 1937 in this same scene—Steve was getting beat up, of course, and Evelyn had been passing by. She hardly had any fighting background, but she would not stand for Steve being hurt. Not then. Not now. She helped him as best as she could until Bucky showed up. She invited them to her apartment to clean up out of pity and thanks, and a few days later, when she thought she would never see them again, they had found her in a bar worrying over something that seemed silly at the time. That night, they invited her to Coney Island—the rest was history.

"It's my last night!"

"Don't remind me, please," Evelyn said with a stressful glance toward him.

"Gotta get you and Steve cleaned up," Bucky said, ignoring her comment as he grabbed her waist. "You're coming, Lyn. You're my fiancée. You're required to love me and celebrate me one last night," he teased.

Steve sighed. "Buck," he whispered when Evelyn's face fell at Bucky's words.

Bucky cringed, realizing his own words as well. "Sorry." He kissed her once. "C'mon, doll. Let's go to your place. Get us all glammed up. Steve will even let you do his hair!"

Steve grinned. "What, why?"

"Where are we even going?" Evelyn asked in a deadpanned voice as Bucky pulled something from his pocket.

Bucky winked at her. "The future. Howard was planning to miss the dinner anyway. He let me know when he saw me earlier."

Handing Steve the paper, it showed Howard Stark's World Exposition of Tomorrow. Evelyn rose a brow as Bucky's excitement grew with a wiggle of his eyebrows.