Chapter 57| Letter

Start from the beginning

"Oh..." he adjusted the hideous spectacles sitting on the bridge of his nose. "H–Hi."

I gave him a small nod after debating whether or not I should knock him front tooth out for running his mouth back then but it was then.

"Let's go." Charlie said and we made to leave.

"Uh, Chris?"

I turned to the shaky nerd with a questioning look.

"What?"

"C–Can I see you? Alone?" he stuttered and I huffed at the insolent.

What could we possibly talk about? His tattered shoes or the nice fade to his pants.

"Meet us inside." Charlie chipped in and gave me a curt nod, urging me to hear what he had to say and left.

"You have two minutes." I glared at the short boy.

"Um..." he began nervously, "It's about Anna's accident in the school."

"What, you want to let me know I was a nincompoop for my behavior too?" I said, quoting him from biology class.

"No, no. Not that. It's... it was Tim. He threatened to end my scholarship and throw me out of his dad's school if I said a word. I wanted to tell you, Chris. I really wanted to tell you or somebody, anybody. But I was scared."

"Well, will you say what you have to say now or do I need to punch it out of you?" I bellowed and he shook his head in fear.

"It was... it was Tim. Tim pushed Anna down the staircase."

"What? What are you talking about?"

"I–I was there. Tim, h–he pushed her down the stairs." he shrunk back in fear as I moved closer to him with fisted hands.

"You better start talking."

Tunde took his time explaining everything to me and avoided my gaze most of the time. He wasn't in class when I broke the shit news about Suzan and Rose's fuckship. He was just about to leave the restroom when he saw Timothy smoking a joint and decided to stay put and wait till he left. Then Rose hurried past their corner and Timothy immediately went after her.

Deciding to follow them, he was there in time to witness Timothy give Rose a hard shove from behind that sent her tumbling down the stairs. Then Timothy threatened him into keeping his mouth shut and both fled from the scene.

Just when I thought I've heard it all on Anna's issues. She must've been in too much of a shock to realize she was shoved and running it all in my head again, I could only conclude this was a messed up circle. To think I spent three fucking months blaming myself for her near death experience...

"You're going to repeat this shit in front of the principal." I told him.

Please." he beseeched, "Please, I've dealt with enough guilt. Don't make me face Mr. Maxwell..."

"You should've fucking thought of that when you let him get away with this shit. What were you thinking? Were you daft enough to think he'll be after you when he's locked up for good? That bastard ought to be in prison!"

"I'm sorry. I really am, but I was scared. His father's rich and owns this school. It was my word against his influence and you have no idea how mean Timothy can be to us living off of the grant-in-aid. Please..."

I sighed and ran a hand into my hair, thinking hard on what step to take.

"Bitch, listen and listen good." I put a hand on his shoulder and looked him dead in his scaredy eyes, "You hid the truth until now like a fucking chicken that you are and that makes you just as bad as Timothy but I'm not even up for a talk right now. I know you would've simply gone crazy if Anna died from that experience and that's why you want to come around and act like the saint you're fucking not."