一 (One)

(Arielle's POV)

"You still here?"

"My shift is twelve hours and I'm only ten in."

"Good luck with that. I'm going home."

"Enjoy."

"Oh I will. A nice hot bath, good food, and some alone time with my man." Harper winked.

I shook my head.

"Elle, got a trauma coming in. You and Doctor Wilkes are up." The charge nurse, April, said.

"Got it." I nodded as Dr. Wilkes came over.

I work as an ED nurse at West Valley General. I've worked here for one year and I love it. Being a nurse for the emergency department was not my first choice. I wanted to be a Peds nurse but that changed when I got here.

I fell in love with the thrill of emergency medicine and decided to stay. I fell in love with pace and adrenaline rush from it all. I also fell in love with my co-workers. They're some of the best people I know and I couldn't imagine working with anyone else.

Dr. Wilkes and I quickly finished with the trauma that came in. Sadly, there was nothing we could do for the man. He was gone.

"April, where is Corbin?" Dr. McCall asked as I looked over some charts.

Dr. McCall transferred from New York about five years ago. His father is also a doctor in New York, well he's a retired one anyway. Our Dr. McCall is one of the best in the States. They say he takes after his father.

"Out sick for the week. Why?"

"House call." He said.

"You sure you can't go alone?"

He shook his head. "Not this time."

"What about Elle?" April asked, causing my head to snap up.

"What?"

"You're still on the clock right?"

"Yeah."

"Go with McCall then."

"Sure. Let me grab my jacket."

I grabbed my jacket and then followed him out to his truck.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"Making a house call."

"I didn't know we did those."

"I do."

"Oh. Corbin usually does them with you?"

"Yeah. Arielle, how are your morals?"

"My morals?"

"Yeah. Thoughts and opinions?"

"I...I don't know. You'd have to be more specific."

"Organized crime. Thoughts?"

"Like the mafia?"

Then it clicked.

"Are we going to treat mafia members?"

"Pretty much."

"Pretty much?"

"Yakuza."

"Japanese mafia? Here? In our city?"

He nodded.

"Are you asking me about my morals because this is technically off the books? Paid under the table kind of thing?"