Chapter 3: Sophie

Sophie just stared at the letter. The impossibly huge letters that spelled out her name were much too conspicuous, but she had an idea of who would send it...

"Is this from the Black Swan?" She finally asked, as a rhetorical question.

Though honestly, she was so confused.

Unless something happened since Sophie got home, the Black Swan would have no reason to contact her like this. Not that she knew of... Also, the writing didn't look like their handwriting and if it was from the Black Swan shouldn't their symbol be on it?

Sandor finally interrupted Sophie's thoughts. "Open it already!"

"I will. Just wait!"

Sophie needed to mentally prepare herself. Who knew what the letter would say but... the Black Swan were always very vague so the letter probably wasn't that important.

Most likely it would be very frustrating and useless.

But why was it under Iggy's cage on her bed? And Keefe was the only person who was in her room...

Sophie blew out a breath and opened the letter.

Inside was a piece of folded paper and... a prattles pin?

Sophie pulled the pin out, confused.

The pin was of a Moonlark but was unlike any Moonlark pin that she had ever seen. Sophie touched the surface that looked like it had been painted on.

There were silver and icy blue highlights along the slender wings of the bird and it carried a slim banner that was a creamy golden color.

Along the banner were two words in a loopy cursive.

Trust me.

Slowly, Sophie pulled out the wrinkled piece of paper and read the inky words that covered the page.

To The Mysterious Miss F!

Ugh- I'm already regretting starting this letter that way. But I don't have any extra paper, and crossing it out would look worse, so....... I guess we'll just have to add it to my list of mistakes. And I know you're going to think that everything I'm about to say should also be on that long list of Keefe fails. But I swear- that's NOT what this is. I'm not trying to fix everything or save everyone this time. I'm just trying to make sure I don't hurt anyone.

I can't tell you more than that without putting you in danger, so just........ trust me when I say that the powers my mom gave me are super bad.

There seriously aren't strong enough words to explain how horrible they are. AND I CAN'T control them- just like I can't stop my mom from forcing me to use them.

So.......... this is the only way. I don't want to do it. But I have to.

And I'm not going to ask you not to hate me. In fact, it might be better if you do, because I need you to PROMISE that you won't try to find me. My mom will be waiting for you to track me down- and since I know how stubborn you are, I want to make sure you understand who you'd be putting in danger.

I'm going to be hiding the same way the Black Swan hid you. That's why you have to stay away.

Well, there are lots of reasons. So again, please, just........ trust me, okay? And since this is the last time I'll ever talk to you, I just...... I want to say that I'm really going to miss you. You mean a lot to me, Foster. More than you'll ever know.

Please be careful. Please be happy. And PLEASE forget all about me.

It'll be better for everyone that way.

You'll see.

Love, Keefe

A long silence passed which seemed like hours, and Sophie felt like she couldn't move.

Anger.

Shock.

Sadness.

Confusion.

And most of all... betrayal

So many conflicting emotions were mixing around in her head and all Sophie could do was stare at the horrible, no terrible words on the letter. She was so focused on trying to interpret other meanings in his words that she didn't even notice the tears sliding down her cheeks until she felt a soft hand wipe them away.

Startled, Sophie looked up into the soft face of Edaline.

"Mom? What are you doing here?"

Edaline tilted Sophie's chin up and looked at her.

"I came here to check on how you were doing. I am so, so, so sorry honey. I had no idea that he would do this."

Sophie's reply twisted into a sob and before she knew it, her arms were around her mom as she cried, letting the tears wash away everything else.

When all was dark, Sophie sat up and wiped away the last of her tears.

"Mom, I have a question for you."

"What is it, Sophie?"

"Why would Keefe do this? He could have stayed! People would have helped him control his ability!"

"Sophie, Keefe probably gave a lot of thought to his decision. I think he just felt so scared of what would happen because of his ability that he decided the safest course of action would be to go away. Keefe just wanted to protect the ones he loved. And Sophie? Just so you know, he did this for you. He really really cares about you. More than you think." Edaline stood up and looked around.

"Are you sure you're okay now? If you need anything else tell me, otherwise I'm going to update Grady."

"I'm good Mom. I just need to take a moment."

"Well, take as long as you want. I love you."

"I love you too, Mom."