Chapter 17: Keefe

Before Sophie called Keefe out of the darkness he felt like a piece of glass, shattering upon impact. Everything was becoming blurry and he felt like he was disconnected from reality.

All Keefe could remember was that he needed to stay and not drift away. But he forgot why...

Being with Sophie reminded Keefe of how much he had ruined her life. So much that when he came back she wasn't even angry at him.

Just devastated.

He could tell.

The blackness below him was growing warmer.

Then words came from above.

Keefe, it's Sophie. Will you come back for me?

Keefe tried to propel himself upward, to reach the voice but couldn't.

Below him he felt the pull of the shadows, reaching for him.

Some part of Keefe knew that he had to hang on but the rest of him beckoned to drift forward.

To become one with the darkness.

And when he resisted, the darkness took a shape, changing to become his worst fears.

And his worst moments.

Let them be happy.

It's your legacy.

Accept it.

"Keefe, you can't do this!"

"You're hurting me!"

Keefe wanted to flee. To leave the pounding waterfall of twisted words.

But he couldn't.

They pulled him in, not letting him go. The words grew louder.

But then things started coming down from above. Memories with her. They swooped in and surrounded Keefe.

They were like his armor, a shield, protecting him from the onslaught of ferocity.

But the darkness found a way, a chink in his defense.

Slowly pouring in.

Darker and hungrier than before.

Keefe screamed, a guttural cry.

He couldn't handle it anymore.

Then-as if it was never there- the darkness receded back into its depths.

And all was quiet.

Then...

A voice.

A beautiful voice.

Said...

I love you.

The words acted like a bucket of water, dousing Keefe and bringing him back to reality.

She loved him.

When he never thought she would again.

And he said what he had wanted to say since they had met.

I love you too.

...

Keefe opened his eyes, staring into hers. The last of her tears were streaked across her face as if she had wiped them away hurriedly.

This was the reason he had held on. The reason why he didn't get dragged away.

"Keefe!" Sophie laughed and exclaimed, "you're back!"

Keefe winced and stood up.

"Yeah, I am."

They stared at their feet awkwardly but Keefe knew that it was his turn to speak up.

"Uh, Sophie?"

"Yes?" Sophie looked up. Keefe could feel the nervousness in the air around her. And the hope. And...

Love?

Wow.

She really did.

But he needed to make sure.

Keefe spoke again, "Did you mean what you said in there? About me?"

Sophie smiled, "Of course I did Keefe. I love you."

Keefe exhaled. This was more amazing than he had ever imagined. It was finally happening.

So he took her hand and tilted her head to face him. Finally, reaching up and smoothing the crease on her forehead with one finger. (He had wanted to do that for a very long time.)

"And I meant what I said too. I mean it more than I've ever meant something before. ever." He paused, letting the words sink in.

"I love you, Sophie."

He got closer. And closer. Until her face was only inches away from his. Then leaned down and...

Their lips met. A soft kiss.

Full of all the words they didn't have time for.

They lingered there a second longer until...

Someone cleared their throat painfully loud.

Keefe jumped back as well as Sophie, both blushing deep crimson.

There was Grady standing with his arms folded.

And behind him was...

Fitz.