Chapter 12: Nightmares

Start from the beginning

"It's...nice. The little womp rat likes it." Mando commented.

Upon hearing his nickname, the child turned towards us, letting out a coo. I let out a chuckle. "He needs a better nickname."

"That's a good nickname. He doesn't need another one." Mando retorted. He then changed the subject. "Last night, when you were sleeping in the repulsorcraft, you mumbled someone's name. Who's Jeffrey?"

My heart dropped upon hearing that name. Immediately, I shook my head. "Never heard of that name."

But Mando wasn't giving up. He was persistent as he shot back. "Don't lie, Rambeau. You know who I'm talking about."

I narrowed my eyes at him. "You know you're a pain in the ass, and quite heartless, but then again what should've I expected from a man who's always in a metal suit."

With that, I dropped the bowl I had on the ground before storming back to my new home. R8 trailed behind me, letting out several beeps. He tried to cheer me up, telling me that he was going to make Mando's life miserable, but nothing would make me feel better. Poor R8 knew as he let out a low sad beep before remaining quiet. Once we returned back to our home, I sat in the chair, sitting by the window. R8 was in the corner, shut down to rest. I stared out the window, thinking about my past. It had been three years since I said his name...Jeffrey. After Brock, I thought I'd never fall in love again, but Jeffrey proved me wrong. But then I killed him in the twisted world of the Framework. I was beginning to believe that I didn't deserve love...that I was never meant to be with anyone as love always seemed to leave me...

At that moment, I heard a familiar coo coming from the opening of the door. I spun around to see the child, walking in, snapping me out of my thoughts. I cracked a smile as I extended out my arms, and immediately, he made his way towards me. Once he was in my arms, I gently lifted him up. The child tilted his head as he looked up at me, letting out another coo. I placed a finger around his hand, which he immediately took in his hand. I wasn't sure where this sudden surge of confidence came from, but I blurted out. "You want me to sing you a lullaby?"

The child babbled as he gave me a nod. I cracked a smile. "All right..."

I took a deep breath before I began to sing. "You tucked me in, turned out the lights,

Kept me safe and sound at night,

Little girls depend on things like that,

Brushed my teeth and combed my hair had to drive me everywhere,

You were always there when I looked back.

You had to do it all alone, make a livin' make a home,

Must been as hard as it can be.

And when I couldn't sleep at night,

Scared things wouldn't turn out right,

You would hold my hand and sing to me,

Caterpillar in tree,

How you wonder who you'll be,

Can't go far but you can always dream.

Wish you may and wish you might,

Don't you worry, hold on tight.

I promise you there will come a day,

Butterfly fly away, butterfly fly away.

Flap your wings now you can't stay.

Take those dreams and make them all come true.

Butterfly fly away, butterfly fly away.

We've been waiting for this day,

All along and knowing just what to do.