Chapter 9: Getting The Child Back

Start from the beginning

"You ready?" I questioned.

R8 let out an affirmative beep, letting me know he was ready. I then heard footsteps coming from the ladder. Here we go. There's no turning back now. With that, I slowly reached for my I.C.E.R. gun from my belt.

"We've landed on Nevarro." Mando informed me.

I felt the hilt of my gun around my fingertips. I then quickly spun around. Before Mando could reach for his blaster, I fired a shot, hitting his neck. At once, Mando stumbled back before falling onto the ground. I then quickly grabbed the child before running out the ship. R8 trailed behind me, as we made our into the town, which stood behind a huge arch. The town was filled with buildings, a marketplace, stormtroopers, and many aliens and humans, wandering about the streets.

I kept the child close to me we walked through the streets. I could feel the stares of the people as we walked past them. As I walked deeper into the town, the child began to cry. I quickly hid behind a building before looking down at him. My heart clenched. I gently rocked him, trying to soothe him. 

"Don't you worry, little guy. I'll keep you safe. It's a promise I made my father..." I assured him.

At that moment, I heard a familiar voice. "You shot me!"

I spun around to see Mando standing right behind me. His helmet was just inches away from my face. I rolled my eyes. "Relax, I didn't kill you. I knew what I was doing."

"What did you hit me with this? I have a terrible headache." He groaned.

"An I.C.E.R. gun. It packs quite a punch." I informed him. 

"Give me the child." Mando urged, reaching out to grab the kid from me.

I quickly spun around, keeping the child away from his reach. "No, I won't."

He clenched his fists as he took a step towards me. "Give it to me now or else."

"Or what?" I questioned. "You'll blast me down? You have to catch me first." 

I then turned around, prepared to run away, when I felt a pair of hands grab my waist, preventing me from going anywhere. He spun me around, so I was now facing Mando. My eyes widened, not expecting Mando to that. 

"It's against the Bounty Hunters' Code to interfere with my bounty. And this is my bounty." Mando argued.

"Your bounty's a child!" I protested. "He's just a child! And who knows what your employer with do to him, but you don't care 'cause all you care about is money." 

He leaned his helmet closer so that our faces were just centimeters away from each other. He then spoke, sounding pissed off. "...You don't know a thing about me." 

I scoffed. "I know people like you, tin head. You only care about yourself."

The child began to whine in my arms. I looked down to see the child with tears in his big brown eyes. My heart clenched. I tried rocking him in an attempt to calm him down.

"Hey, it's all right." I said. "You're safe." 

As soon as the child saw Mando, he stopped whining. He let out a coo as he raised his hands towards Mando, baffling me. Mando extended a hand towards me, prepared to take the child away from me. I slumped my shoulders. Reluctantly, I handed the child over towards Mando. 

"Come on." Mando urged. 

As we walked through the streets, we remained silent. Feeling guilty for hurting Mando, I spoke up. "I'm sorry for shooting you and interfering with your work...I just want to keep the child safe."