023

┏━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━┓

𝗙𝗜𝗡𝗔𝗟𝗟𝗬 𝗙𝗥𝗘𝗘

chapter twenty-three:but then she's never looked atme that way before !

but then she's never looked at
me that way before !

┗━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━┛

ACT TWO WAS starting in literally ten minutes, and Athena was kind of freaking out again.

Her mind kept replaying how good Lily sounded in Something There the previous night. But it wasn't only that, no — it was the fact that Athena was singing Something There with Ricky. That whole song was about Belle and the Beast falling in love with each other, and now Athena and Ricky, who were playing Belle and the Beast, were also falling in love with each other in real life . . . at least, Athena hoped Ricky felt the same way.

Now in Belle's green dress (which was Athena's favorite costume besides Belle's gold one) with her hair down and a green ribbon it it, Athena ran into the bomb shelter where she knew the piano was, her skirt clenched in her hands so she wouldn't fall. She passed Kourtney and gave her a fleeting smile before approaching the piano, where Nini was standing by.

"Can you give me the starting pitches for Something There?" Athena asked frantically. "I know I probably could do it, but my mind's a little scrambled right now."

Nini looked down at the piano for a second before playing two very familiar notes.

Athena nodded. "Okay. Cool."

Nini chuckled slightly. "'Thena, you've got this song down pat. Why are you so worried?"

"I — um, I may or may not have been thinking about the riffs Lily was adding into the song and how she sounded like a literal Disney princess."

"Athena, listen," Nini began, taking a step closer to her. "You are the best person to play the role of Belle, and that's coming from someone who's been in the show before."

She smiled gently. "Thank you, Nini."

Nini's eyes then studied Athena's face a little more, clearly noticing something else was wrong. "Do you want to tell me what's really bothering you now?"

"I'm terrified," Athena blurted out. "Not just of this whole competition, but of singing Something There with Ricky."

"Why? You two seemed to be doing well lately, especially tonight. Do not think I missed your interactions backstage."