Athena looked over at him. "So you brought us to my treehouse to . . ."

"Talk," Ricky finished. "With me actually listening this time." He let go of her hand and picked up the lanterns, offering one to her. "After you."

She took the lantern and turned it on before climbing up the steps, Ricky following behind her. Athena opened the door and set down her lantern on one of the chests. She glanced around, noticing all the old furniture and decorations were still pretty in tact. Athena smiled softly at the heart with A + R in it carved onto the wall.

"We used to spend hours up here," Athena said quietly, as she turned back around to face him. "It was just our little escape from the rest of the world. We were just kids with no responsibilities, playing castle . . . which, if I'm remembering correctly, I always threw you out for some reason."

Ricky chuckled and sat down on one of the small cushions on the floor. Athena followed his lead and sat on the one directly across from him. She clasped her hands together and folded them in her lap.

"You told me I devalue your feelings," Ricky said. "I never meant to make you feel that way. So, right here, right now . . . I'm going to listen. Lay it all on me."

"No yelling?" she asked.

He shook his head. "None. I want to hear what you have to say. We can both talk when you're finished."

Athena let out a deep breath. "I guess I should start with the night at the El Rey. Simultaneously both the worst and best night of my life, I guess." She paused to laugh a little. "Uh, I remember what I felt when I caught you almost kissing Nini. My heart felt like it had shattered into a million pieces and it suddenly felt like I couldn't breathe. Because I caught my boyfriend, the one who I had been in love with since I was little, almost kiss his ex. Even after you told me you loved me on my porch that night, I kept thinking about that moment. I didn't want to, but you already seemed to have forgotten about it, so I didn't bring it up again. Only to Violetta, who then told me I might have forgiven you too easily. But I still have every right to feel betrayed by that."

"Why did you?" Ricky inquired. "You know . . . forgive me too easily?"

She shrugged. "You were going through a bit of a rough time. I didn't want you to be alone." Athena tucked a piece of hair behind her ear. "And then it was the fight in the hallway. You were snapping at me and pushing me away, but I didn't want to be pushed away again. Listen, I get it. You go through tough times and you want to be alone, but telling me that you wouldn't care if I wasn't waiting around for you like I always am, Ricky, it hurt me, too."

He was silent on that one.

"Both times you came and fought for us, because this relationship means a lot, and both times I forgave you. But after I forgave you, you just went and hurt me again." A tear finally streamed down her cheek. "And then seeing you talking to Lily, not even saying anything when she said that it seemed like I didn't care about you . . . it also hurt. Because I do care about you. A lot. And then that started to remind me of all those other times you hurt me. It got too much and all of the hurt was weighing me down to the point where I was going into a spiral." She looked down at her hands. "Then you went to accuse me of not ever loving you, which took it too far."

"I know you love me," Ricky said quietly, tears of his own starting to pool in his eyes. "I wasn't thinking straight. God, I'm so stupid."