Chapter Thirty Seven

Start from the beginning

"Welcome to the club," Jay chuckled. "He's had it bad since we were old enough to know what feelings were. He just won't say anything much to our frustration. Whoa!"

Harry had gone to walk forward but apparently had lost all feeling in his legs as he almost fell forward instead. Had Jay not caught him, the reporters would have been able to snap a photo of the First Mate with his face planted on the deck of the yacht.

"Harry, what all have you had to drink?" Uma teased as she walked up.

"Water and a bit of punch, cap'n. No rum to be found around these parts after all," Harry told her, smiling at her as the group of them made their way onto the deck and Mal walked off, waiting to be announced herself. Uma shot her a small smile before grinning at the sight before her.

"You know, the Isle might be our home but you can't deny that Auradon knows how to party," she told Harry.

"Aye, this is certainly a fancy swing ding," Harry nodded as Jay and Carlos broke off to talk to some of the Tourney boys, Lonnie and Jane on their heels. "I see our friends have started to ditch us."

"I'm more surprised that DeVil took his date over there," Uma shook her head. "If he's going to spend time with a girl, he should probably learn that sports talk is about as dull as you can get. Unless that talk involves swords."

"Or Jay bursting out in song and dance," Harry smirked remembering the time Mal had told them all about Benny's 'declaration of love' and how Jay had joined in. Jay had tried to defend his action, claiming that he thought the then Princeling was under a love spell but really there was no excuse.

Plus the video on Auratube was still up—Harry was pretty sure he had given it half of the now one billion views laughing at Jay's antics.

"Anyone seen Audrey?" Lonnie asked as she walked up, having snuck off from the Tourney group to get some refreshments.

"Do we really want to see the Brat?" Uma asked, taking one of the offered refreshments from the other girl.

"Well no but that's why I'm asking. If she tries to somehow ruin Mal's night by making a big declaration of feelings for Ben..."

"She does that, she'll get a tidal wave to the face," Uma promised. "I'm not one for the big parties but this is Mal's night. She doesn't deserve to have it ruined by Sleeping Brat."

"And speaking of Mal..." Jay grinned as he turned his attention to the top of the stairs. Mal walked toward the center of them, a purple leash wrapped loosely around one of her hands as Estelle walked by her side. He must have been in the waiting area as he hadn't arrived with Mal.

"The future Lady Mal!" Lumiere exclaimed and Mal smiled as she walked down the stairs, Estelle giving everyone a doggy grin and wagging his tail; his purple bow ties contrasting brilliantly with his dark fur. Reaching the bottom of the stairs, Mal smiled as she handed the leash to James before giving a small curtsy to Belle and Beast.

"You look beautiful Mal," Belle said with a small smile. Beast nodded, a smile gracing his lips as well.

"Ben is going to faint when he sees you," he told the girl who, with any luck tonight, would become his future daughter in law. Oh sure they thought Ben crazy when he first told them. After all, who gets engaged as a teenager?

But as they thought about it, they realized that Ben would only just be motivated to propose in secret if they objected. As well, as Belle pointed out, she was seventeen when she traded her life for her father's freedom. At least Ben was only getting engaged.

"Thank you," Mal said softly.

"I know we were rather...taken aback at first," Belle said gently. "But there is no denying you are everything Ben needs. There's a spark in him again that had left him and, as a mother, I couldn't be more grateful."