Sparks Fly

St. Petersburg, Russia, September 1927

He had blonde hair like wheat and blue eyes like seas upon which ships sailed. He was a rather handsome, fine young man, and it was no wonder how the young women desired the handsome Tsarevich to take her hand in marriage. However, only one girl would ever make him fall onto his fragile knee. That was Princess Ileana of Romania, my Mother's first cousin.
She was a gentle and sweet young one. Despite her outgoing nature, compliments never failed to make her blush deeply. She was excited to start her new life as Tsarevna by Alexei's side, the two young things. The tragedy forthcoming would shake my family forever.
They met when they were children. Instantly, Ileana grew attached to him, doting upon him, following him around like a slave. He enjoyed the attention, although they would gain distance over the years. The youth met again at the wedding of our dear eldest sister, Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna, our Olishka, who married Prince Carol of Romania in 1920. Ileana was the sister to Carol, and despite the loveless marriage Olga and Carol pursued, a flame was born between Alexei and Ileana. They wrote to each other often following the wedding, and in 1925, Alexei surprised her with a visit in celebration of her sixteenth birthday. She was overjoyed with his arrival, when they confessed their love for each other. Like his father, he knew the woman he wanted to marry and ignored other potential arrangements.
By the end of 1925, they were engaged. They married in March 1926, and Ileana was expecting their first child by June. The two couldn't be happier. They were madly in love, possibly the only one of the five of us children who found a happy marriage.
Olga's marriage to Carol was in shambles from the moment her hand was in his. Neither showed any amount of interest in each other, therefore driving a distance between each other that would not be mended. It was only at public outings and balls that Olga and Carol attempted to tolerate one another. Their daily lives consisted of each living in suites in different wings of their palace, often not seeing each other for days at a time. Carol would often hold his own parties in the evenings, and Olga never arrived. She knew the chaos of the parties and the women Carol flirted with, and she knew she had better things to do than endure an evening of such activities. She would sit in her wing of the palace, often reading, praying, or writing to our sister Tatiana.
It was only when Carol's parents spoke up did Olga attempt an effort to save her marriage. They reminded the couple that an heir was needed, and so Olga proposed an attempt at resolving their disputes. His parties were no more, and in the evenings they took dinner together. After a few months of their awkward time spent together, Olga was pregnant with a baby boy. Carol's love for his son brought him closer to Olga, and they had a daughter and another son. We were overjoyed upon learning we had nephews and a niece. The children are very sweet, but blind to their parents' dislike for one another. After their daughter was born, Olga fell ill and exhausted quickly. She told Carol that they should not have another child for some time until she regains her strength, but this news infuriated him.
His parties were reborn with his affairs. Olga was more devoted to her children than to him. The weak stitches that once held the fraying marriage together dissolved. They eventually stopped seeing each other except for public events, just like before their children were born. Now, in 1927, after seven years of marriage and three children, that is their stance in marriage. Although Carol has had many affairs, Olga never has. She spent her time with her children, not looking for arms to hold her.
Next comes our dear sister Tatiana Nikolaevna. She married in 1921 to Dmytri Pavlovich. She and Dmytri were very fond of each other, but not in love. Although her marriage was not nearly as rigid as Olga's, she wasn't the most happy. Dmytri still loved partying and drinking in all hours of the night. Marriage didn't settle him down, for he still acted like a bachelor with his sly flirtations at parties. Tatiana reminded him of the ring on his finger, and soon the flirtations ended. He never had an affair, but it was obvious he was browsing his options, although Tatiana would never be anything but loyal. In 1922 she had a baby girl. From 1922 to 1926, they had three more children; a son in 1923, a daughter in late 1924, and another son in early 1926. Dmytri shielded his eyes from other women with the arrival of his children, and Tatiana is the orderly, loving mother we knew she would be. We are happy for Tatiana, who seems to have succeeded in building a family, even if her husband was slightly a flake.
The last of my sisters, we come to sweet Maria Nikolaevna, our Mashka. She married Louis Mountbatten in 1922, bringing her such joy. He adored her, having had a crush on her since 1910. She was overjoyed at finding a match. By the end of 1922, Mashka was pregnant with their first child, a boy. Louis was happy at the arrival of his first son, who he wanted to be an athletic child, with whom he would share interests. This would never be the case, since a few weeks after his birth, it was discovered that their little boy had hemophilia, just like his uncle.
Mashka was devastated at the news, knowing that he would never have a peaceful childhood with the precautions they would take. She constantly fretted over him, like our mother. I felt such sorrow for her. I immediately visited her upon hearing the news. I attempted to comfort her, but it was no use. Her firstborn would likely not live to sixteen years old, but our brother had survived to twenty three so far, which gave her a little hope.
Louis, however, was not sad, but furious. He was furious that Maria passed hemophilia down to his son, although it was not nearly in her control. He grew distant from her for some weeks after hearing the news, until they decided to have another child. Since then, they have had four children, all healthy. Her sweet five year old hemophiliac is a curious one, always wanting to find something to explore and experience.
It is often hard for Mother to visit Mashka. She is reminded of Alexei as a child, and how he was much like Mashka's child. She was especially saddened to see that Maria is the carrier of hemophilia, and that her grandchildren would also suffer.
Louis grew distant from Maria, seeing how much she worried about their eldest son. He was angry at her for passing along the hemophilia, but he was also upset that he wouldn't be able to raise him as the sport loving, perfect son he desired. Maria was distressed at his temper, considering he blamed her for something she had no control over.
Now, we come to me, Anastasia Nikolaevna. Who did I marry? No one. I am not married, and I do not intend to. I understand that arranged marriages can be successful, but I refuse to be forced into something I would not like. Besides, I am the fourth daughter. I'd say the public mostly forgot about me. I do not mind, for I enjoy some privacy. I still attend balls, ceremonies, parties, and weddings, but I would not like to be escorted by a man I do not love, but married. Olga and Maria's marriages went downhill faster than the time it took for them to say "I do." Tatiana's is happy, but I don't want the whole circus of a wedding, building a relationship, and then children. I cannot even imagine me ever marrying, or even falling in love. Besides, my parents don't seem to mind. If I were to marry, it would be a Russian, as there's few matches from other countries. I've made my stance on marriage clear to my family.
Alexei is likely the only one who fell madly in love. They're relationship is so sweet and content, even after marrying and having a child. They are diligently devoted to each other. Ileana still adores Alexei like when they were children, and although Alexei enjoys all of her attention, he showers her with compliments and gifts constantly. No matter what has happened to them, they go to each other for comfort, and have been nothing but loyal. Ileana is gentle and kind, her cheeks flushed at the excitement of balls and galas. She was innocent and blind to the domineering women of the court, judging her behind her back. We took her in with open arms, for we all took a liking to her instantly.

Our lives were typical as the imperial family, with marriages and children, and an heir for Alexei. It would take a turn for the worst in a matter of days.