Chapter 37: His Trust

Start from the beginning

But as I moved closer, it became obvious that the princess was not in her bed.

Where was she? I looked around the room. My worry was quickly mounting into full-on panic. Why hadn't I thought to investigate her rooms sooner? What if she had been kidnapped?

Prince Ali was supposed to be arriving this week. What if he had come earlier in the night and taken her? If he had used that magic carpet...

The same fear I had had months ago took hold of me. That carpet would be nigh impossible to track.

"JASMINE!"

"Ren! Is that you?"

Her voice! Thank the gods.

I whirled around and almost as quickly turned away again.

It was too late though. Her image had been seared into my mind. Jasmine, standing there, with her eyes closed wearing nothing, but a purple robe and a towel on her head.

"I should go," I said. My voice was surprisingly steady considering how hard my heart was hammering. First, I thought she was missing and now this.

It took all of my effort to not imagine her sitting in her bath like she must have been doing before I'd burst into her rooms shouting like an idiot.

"Forgive me, princess. I did not mean to intrude upon you," I told her. "I will meet you by the fountain in a quarter hour." I started towards the door. I needed to leave here as soon as possible.

"Wait," she called after me. "Please."

I paused, my hand on the door. My heart would not stop galloping.

"Ren, you know how hard sneaking around my rooms is these days. It'd be better if you waited for me here. You could sit on the bed."

The bed?

"I don't think so," I said reflexively.

"Please Ren, I really don't want to cut our night short."

I hesitated a moment more, but I knew she had me. "I will be here, but please..." Put on some clothes.

"Yes! Of course! I'll be right back." I heard her walk back to the bathroom.

Only then did I turn around. I slowly made my way to her boudoir and sat on the cushioned seat next to it. I was not touching her bed.

A few uncomfortable minutes later, Jasmine reappeared. "Sorry for the wait," she said. Her hair was in a simple ponytail instead of her usual style, but she was wearing proper clothes and jewelry.

Good.

This was scandalous enough without her being underdressed in that robe...

Still! There was one thing missing.

"Your blindfold," I said, "You should-"

But at the same time, she said, "Ren, do you-"

We stopped.

"You go first," I offered.

She smiled. "I was going to ask you. Do you know what happened today?" She was getting right into it.

Instead of answering, I said, "Tell me."

Jasmine took a seat on her bed and then explained about the Ababwans, Ali's upcoming visit, and her father's offer. "I'm canceling the engagement tomorrow."

"Are you sure?" I asked. I was obligated to asked. "Your headpiece..."

"Doesn't excuse his actions after I destroyed it," she finished. "I've gotten countless apology letters over the last few weeks from other princes. They were suddenly filled with remorse over their failed courtship attempts."

"Oh." How had I missed that?

"I didn't tell you," she said, answering my unasked question. "It was...I was waiting for the right time."

The right time? Right time for what?

"So, you see," she pressed on, "Prince Ali's actions can't be excused by my headpiece. Even if they could, I still wouldn't want to marry him. Ren?" She stood up.

"Yes," I said, watching her.

"I want to finish our conversation from last night," she said as she moved towards me.

"Alright," I said, my voice still holding out somehow.

"I wasn't sure then, but after today..." The princess was standing right in front of me.

As I was still sitting and she was too close for me to stand up now, I was forced to look up at her.

"Ren..."

"Yes?"

"I think I know how to break your curse."

"Oh." I knew my mind should be filled with joy and questions. So many questions, but instead I was disappointed.

"I need you to close your eyes," she said.

"Jasmine," I began.

"Please." The word was soft.

"Alright." Hope reemerged and for that reason, I closed my eyes. My entire body tensed. I couldn't believe I was doing this. I was sitting here in the princess's rooms with my eyes closed, knowing full well that the last time I had done something like this she'd hugged me.

"Do you trust me, Ren?" she said, in that same soft voice.

I swallowed. "Yes. I trust you. My eyes are closed."

"Good." I could hear the smile in Jasmine's voice. "Because I'm going to kiss you now."

"Wha-" I didn't get out the full word before Jasmine's lips were on mine.