10 Reasons - Chapter 22

Chapter 22

I tried to forget about Anderson, I really did. But he was a big part of why I was happy in St. Cloud. Things were fine at school, I had Tab and Franky, and my mom and I were getting along. But being truly happy? That was the feeling of knowing I was going to see Anderson. Or getting a text from him in the evening. Suddenly, when these things stopped, I didn't feel so happy.

   The next week was spent just getting through the days. Tab and Franky offered plenty of social interaction - at school and outside of school - but for whatever reason I felt like I was on the outside, looking in. I knew what was missing, but it was hard to admit that I'd been the reason Anderson had walked away.

   "My dad is seeing someone new," Tab announced at lunch, the day before we'd be off for the long weekend. The Saturday was Franky's birthday and the Sunday was Easter.

   "Oh, that sucks. Sorry, Tab," Franky said right away.

   I didn't know that her dad seeing someone was a bad thing, but apparently it was.

   "He wants me to go to his house for Easter dinner, to meet her," she went on, rolling her eyes. "That is not happening."

   "You told him no?" Franky asked, surprised.

   "I told him I have plans, with you guys." Tab's pink and black hair was brushed straight and sitting around her shoulders. Her eyes were dark, and I could tell she was upset. "Plus, it's your birthday."

   I nodded, not bothering to tell them about my Dad inviting me to Chicago. It didn't matter. "My mom said she doesn't celebrate Easter, so I'm in."

   Franky clapped his hands together. "Yay! Birthday - Easter party!"

But when it was time for me to get ready and leave for Momma Lee's that Sunday, I noticed my mom was dressed up, too. She was wearing this striped dress that fell on her knees, and her hair was down. She was wearing make up. Most days, she wore jeans and a sweater, her hair pulled back. I knew she was headed somewhere.

   "You're going out?" I asked, surprised.

   "Just dinner, with Mark. He doesn't really have anyone to spend the holiday with, either," she told me.

   "So, you two are... dating?" I wanted to know.

   "Not really." She shrugged, for emphasis.

   "Okay," I said, nodded at her. "See you later."

   "Of course, have a nice time with your friends," she smiled, then watched me go.

   Franky's mom's house was big, on the other side of our school. It was a neighbourhood was these old, huge houses. Some had been converted into apartments, but her's was just this big, brick house with a little white fence around the front yard.

   I was glad I'd put on some make up and wore a nice dress, because when Franky opened the door, he was dressed up, too. Black pants, a dress shirt, tucked in, and his hair was gelled to the side. I was actually taken back for a second, seeing him.

   "Welcome," he said cheerfully, "come on in."

   "Happy birthday," I smiled, giving him a hug.

   He took my coat as I slipped out of my boots, then I walked down the hallway towards some voices. Around the large kitchen island were the rest of the attendees. Tab smiled at me as I walked closer to her.

   "You came," she said, but she smiled was gone. I couldn't even tell if she was happy to see me.

   I nodded, as Franky started introducing me to his family.

   "Momma, Colin, Stacey, this is Kelsey," he began. "Kels, that's my Momma, my brother, and his girlfriend."

   "It's so nice to meet you, Kelsey," his mom said quickly, while the other two waved. "Thanks for joining us. Would you like a drink?"

   I noticed then that everyone was drinking wine. "Oh, uh, sure, thanks."

   The evening was nice, though a bit uncomfortable for me. Dinner was great, but I still felt a bit like an outsider. I didn't get the inside jokes they all shared. I only had one half glass of wine, as I was driving, while everyone else was continuing to drink. It was a bit weird to me that Franky's mom didn't mind giving teenagers alcohol. I'd only ever drank in Chicago at parties, never with parents around.

   After dinner, Franky, Tab and I were in the large, open living room, the two of them still drinking. They were sitting close to each other, on the sofa, while I was at the other end, my arms crossed around my body.

   "Everyone's staying over," Momma Lee announced, walking into the room, a bit tipsy herself. She was looking at me. "Plenty of room."

   "Oh, um, thanks, but I have to get home," I answered. I didn't have to get home, but I didn't exactly feel like I fit in there anymore. "Thank you for dinner."

   "Oh you are very welcome!" she yelled, leaning into the wall.

   I glanced over at Franky and Tab, after my very short lived conversation with his mom, and noticed his hand was on Tab's leg. The TV was on, and they were both looking at it. They had pretty much ignored me since we finished dinner.

   "Hey," I said to them, standing up. "I'm going to get going."

   Franky looked at me quickly, realizing what was going on. He blinked hard. "Oh, no, don't go. Stay!"

   I could tell he was drunk, by the way he was slurring his words a bit. His eyes were sort of half closed, but he had this big smile on his face. Tab forced a smile in my direction. She hadn't really talked to me all evening.

   "I have to... get going. My mom -"

   "I thought you said your mom had a date?" Tab interrupted, narrowing her eyes at me.

   I'd told them that when I got there.

   "Yeah, I mean, she's probably home by now," I answered. It was only 9 o'clock and she was likely not home yet.

   "Yeah, sure, of course," Tab spat out.

   "Tab, stop," Franky said, shooting her a look. Then he moved her off of him and stood up, stepping closer to me.

   I was confused by everything that was happening. How Tab had been rude to me, for no reason that I knew of. How her and Franky were basically cuddling on the sofa, but not saying anything about it.

   "Have a good night, guys. Thanks for inviting me," I said quietly, then turned to go towards the door.

   Franky followed me, grabbed my coat off the hook. "She's just cranky, and drunk," he told me quickly. "Don't worry."

   I nodded, still confused. "I'm not."

   "Okay, see you at school?" he asked, as if this were a question.

   "Yeah," I finished.

   But I had a heavy feeling in my chest as I walked down the sidewalk and towards my car. Something had changed from between the last time we were at school and now. I didn't know what it was, but I knew it was going to mess things up.