10 Reasons - Chapter 18

Chapter 18

"So, why didn't you tell me you've been in touch with the Turner boy?"

   My mom, the next morning, questioned me. The toaster popped up two pieces of toast. I sighed, not wanting to talk about this with her.

   "Anderson."

   "Right. So, you met at the BBQ? And then what?" she went on, now pouring herself a coffee.

   "Mom. Nothing. We exchanged numbers." I sighed again, hoping she would drop it.

   "I'm just wondering why you didn't tell me about it."

   "Teenagers don't tell their parents stuff like that," I spat out.

   "Oh. Okay." I'd offended her. She didn't really know about teenagers.

   "Mom. Really. We've just seen each other a few times." I wanted to be done talking about it, but yet I smiled, thinking about Anderson.

   "He seems nice." She bit into her now peanut butter-covered toast.

   "Yeah. He is."

   "Honey, will you keep me in the loop? I mean, sometimes? I want this - you, here - to go well."

   "Yeah, Mom. I know."

   "It's just... your dad. I'm sure he already thinks I'll fail at this." She continued eating, barely looking at me.

   "Fail?" I was confused.

   "You. As your mother," she explained.

   "No, Mom. You're not failing."

   She smiled. "I have to go to the office today for a bit, will you be okay?"

   "Of course," I promised, then added, "I have homework."

#6 I KNOW YOU LIKE ME.

   It was an hour later and I was in my bedroom, contemplating taking a shower. I had texted Tab but hadn't heard back from her, and I'd finished my homework. The text that came in from Anderson surprised me, for some reason.

   HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT? I sent back.

   I JUST KNOW. I CAN FEEL IT.

   HOW ARE YOU EXPLAINING ALL OF THESE VISITS TO YOUR GRANDPARENTS? I asked. I just wanted to keep talking to him.

   I TOLD THEM ABOUT YOU.

   Now, my heart beat picked up. He told his grandparents about me? In what way? Did he tell them that we had met on the plane?

   IS THAT OKAY? I JUST TOLD THEM WE ARE FRIENDS, he asked, when I didn't reply.

   OH, YEAH, OK.

   SO, CAN I SEE YOU TODAY?

   WELL, MY MOMS GONE TO WORK FOR A BIT, I told him, not answering the question.

   OKAY, SO?

   I NEED TO SHOWER. COME OVER IN AN HOUR?

   PERFECT.

   He was tapping on the back door, right when I told him to, and I was still surprised to see him. I'd had the fastest shower ever and then put on some make up and brushed out hair, leaving it down. I wanted him to think I was pretty. I wanted him to say more nice things about me.