10 Reasons - Chapter 8

Chapter EIGHT

The football game was all too familiar - not unlike any of the high school football games I'd attended back home. The St. Cloud team won, but I had no idea by how much. I didn't even really know how to follow football. I just sat with Tab and Franky, feeling not as uncomfortable as I thought I'd feel, one week into this new life that had fallen into my lap.

   "You see Jessica Turner?" Franky asked Tab, as we headed back through the crowd, to the parking lot. I was walking quickly to keep up.

   "You mean did I see her boobs hanging out of that shirt she has on?" Tab laughed.

   "Yes," Franky snorted.

   "I don't know why she tries so hard. She's pretty, she's the leader of those Junior sluts-"

   Franky noticed that I looked confused. "Jessica Turner is the Queen Bee of the Mean Girls. She's a Junior, but she's something else. I'm glad we will be out of here before she rules the school."

   "There she is," Tab jabbed him in the side, so he shut up.

   Jessica Turner. She was the girl I had bumped into earlier. She was now wearing a tight skirt and a too tight, low cut top. Two girls, neither as pretty as her, followed close behind her. I kept quiet.

   "Where's the party tonight?" Tab changed the subject, as we neared Franky's truck.

   He pulled out his phone. "Darwin Atwood? Is that the mansion downtown?"

   "No, that's Calvin Cruse. Darwin's is the one with the huge pool, and the huge balcony in the back-"

   "Right," Franky nodded.

   "Party?" I asked, as Tab opened the door to the truck.

   "Oh, yeah. There's always a party after Friday night football games. They rotate who hosts..." She shrugged, like this was no big deal.

   "I can't go," I spat out, jumping up into the truck after her.

   "Oh, why?" Tab looked confused, sliding over so I could sit close to her.

   Franky got into the driver's seat and buckled up. I clicked my seat belt, unsure of what to say. The female cop flashed in my mind. The backseat of the cruiser. My dad's disappointed face.

   "Uh..."

   "C'mon, they are fun. Just a bunch of drunk football players and their girlfriends, other random people from school-" Franky was saying as he started the truck.

   "I don't really party," I said, knowing it sounded stupid.

   Tab glanced at Franky, then back to me. "Okay."

   "I got sent here because I got caught at a party, which was on public property," I spat out.

   "Wait, what?" Tab asked.

   "My Dad didn't want to have to deal with it, so he sent me here to live with my Mom. It was so stupid," I admitted.

   "Did you get arrested or something?" Franky asked, curious.

   "No, not really. But I got fined for public intoxication and underage drinking..."

  "Oh, shit."

  "Yeah. And it was only two weeks ago, that happened. So..."

   Tab waited a few minutes before speaking again. Franky was already driving back towards my mom's house. I'd made it awkward.