10 Reasons - Chapter 4

Chapter FOUR

All of those years that I had thought my dad was so laid back, cool, calm - I was wrong. It turns out I just hadn't done anything bad enough to make him mad. He was a city councillor and over the past year or two, my brother and I had spent a lot of time alone. He had to be at work, he had to leave early and he never got home before dinner. We'd been taking care of ourselves, and it was fine. But now we saw his true colors.

   He really didn't mess around.

   He took me to the police station on Monday morning - I paid the $600 that I had saved and he paid the rest, making sure I knew I would have to pay him back somehow. And then we drove right to my school.

   I sat, embarrassed, as my dad explained to my Principal that I was transferring to a school in St. Cloud, Minnesota, starting the following Monday. Of course our Principal knew about the party in the woods and what had happened. The boy, Brock, who'd been injured, was still in the hospital. There was going to be an assembly that afternoon about the incident, but I wasn't going to be there.

   After the school visit, my dad took me home and told me to start packing. It all felt like a bad dream. I'd made one mistake - being at the party - and because I stayed a bit too long, that was it. He was done with me.

   The next evening, Rayna came over. She sat on my bed, in disbelief, as I packed up my clothes, books, and everything I could fit into three pieces of luggage. 

   "I can't believe you're actually moving," she said, shaking her head.

   "Well, I'm not packing all my stuff for fun," I told her, shoving my summer clothes into the suitcase.

   "This is so crazy. I thought I would have been in trouble if my parents found out I was there,  but -"

   "Yeah, well, I guess my Dad's not as chill as we thought," I interrupted.

   "Aren't you freaking out? Have you ever been to St. Cloud?" Rayna went on.

   "Once. I was thirteen."

   "Do you think your Dad will let you come back? Like, after he's calmed down?" She seemed surprised, but also like she wasn't really all that concerned that I was really leaving.

   I shrugged. "He seems pretty serious about it. One way plane ticket. I leave Thursday."

   "This Thursday? Like, in two days?" Now, her eyes were wide.

   I nodded. "I am freaking out, by the way. But... I don't know. It all feels surreal. You never think your parent will just ship you off, you know?"

   Rayna nodded, "For real."

   The next two days felt like limbo. I didn't have to go to school, but it definitely wasn't a vacation. My Dad left me notes around the house, reminding me to get my packing done. I texted some other friends to say goodbye. I spent the evenings with my brother, who was definitely in shock. We were close; we always had been.

   "It feels like a joke," he told me, the evening before I left. "Like Dad is just going to say 'Gotcha'."

   I swallowed hard. "I know."

   "What if you really hate it there?" he asked, a concerned look on his face.

   "I'll deal with it, until I'm eighteen. I'll come back, I'll get my own place..."

   "I hope that actually happens," he said, now looking sad. "I'll miss you."

   "I'll miss you, too. We can call and text a lot, okay?" I said, trying to cheer him up. I didn't want to leave him behind, but I had no idea what else to do.

   He nodded, but I could tell he wasn't sure. He was fourteen and his only sister was being sent away.

And then, just like that, it was happening. My dad drove me the thirty minutes to the airport, handed me a boarding pass and gave me a hug. My bags were checked. My hands were shaking. I didn't even want to look at him. All week, I'd avoided talking to him. I wanted him to think I didn't care that he was doing this. I didn't want him to know he was hurting me.

   "You'll be fine, Kelsey," he said, a straight face. "It'll be good for you."

   But suddenly I started to cry, out of no where. "I can't believe you're sending me away."

   "Your Mom is excited to have you," he said, sounding much too calm.

   "Really? She hasn't cared much for me in years," I said, wiping my eyes.

   "She is excited. She loves you," he said again, and my heart dropped.

   "Great, at least someone does."

   "Kelsey." Now, he looked the tiniest bit sad. But it was too late.

   "Bye, Dad," I finished, and turned away.

   The plane was crowded, and I had a window seat, which would have been fine if I had boarded first. But, of course, I was at the back of the line and had to squeeze past two people to get into my seat. I dropped my small bag by my feet and plopped down into my seat.

   Sighing, I clicked in my seat belt. This was it. I couldn't believe it, as it still didn't feel real. I closed my eyes, feeling like crying again. The plane took off ten minutes later, after the whole safety demo, then I shoved my headphones into my ears and blasted my angry playlist. I had to pretend this was a vacation. Maybe I would be laying on a beach later that day. Or maybe I was going to hell.

   Someone was tapping my shoulder not even half an hour later. My eyes were closed and I wished I was asleep so I didn't have to deal with anyone. I really was not in the mood.

   "Yeah?" I asked, pulling out one ear bud.

   "Hey," the guy beside me - who looked a bit older than me - said plainly. He was smiling, but it seemed fake. "I was wondering if you could turn down your music? Or like, switch to something more chill?"

   "What?" I asked, literally confused.

   "It's just... we are really close here, and I'm trying to read..."

   I gave him a dirty look and put my headphones back in and did not turn it down, even a little bit.