He stopped at the edge of a small pond and tapped it twice.

"Lieutenant Dhar thinks it is likely the creature sleeps here," Worf went on.

"Then why don't we get to it?" Riker asked eagerly.

"The pond is twelve kilometres to the east through rough territory, Sir. Dense foliage would make it hard to spot any incoming attacks and there's more than just the Byaki in that forest," Tasha explained.

They had sent a security team in to scout the area previously and had learned it was a dangerous jaunt. Any attempt to reach the pond would be an unnecessary risk.

"It's too great a danger, Sir. We're better off drawing the creature out to us," Tasha concluded.

"And you think you've got a plan to make that happen, Data?" Riker questioned.

"Yes, sir. Thus far, we have struggled to capture the creature because it seems to be invisible. Our attempts to stun it with a phaser have proven ineffective. I suspect this failure is caused by the creature's stealth and speed coupled with the phaser's targeted line of fire," Data described.

Data picked up a phaser rifle from the table and opened the control panel.

"In short, we need to increase the spread," Data said.

"We can adjust the phasers to release a large sound pulse rather than a targeted phaser blast," Tasha explained.

It was the same way she had turned the Howdacts away when they were chased. Inspired by that move, Data had theorised it may give them an advantage.

There was a loud crash.

It came from the north corner of the tent. A tray of plant samples the exobiology team had collected had fallen to the floor.

Everyone frantically scanned around them as ensigns came running with phasers drawn.

"Quiet," Data ordered as he put his hand out to signal they should be silent.

There it was, the same heavy breathing Tasha and Worf had heard the night before was now dangerously close, just outside the tent.

"Visual?" Riker asked in a soft voice.

Tasha and Worf shook their heads.

There was nothing. No sign of the creature anywhere.

"Well, it's here somewhere," Riker commented in an uneasy voice.

Something caught Data's eye. His visual input receptors were capable of processing both light and colour at a faster rate than the human eye. Just to the left of the tent there was something strange about the way the rain was falling where Data had been observing it a moment earlier.

It was as if the raindrops were hitting an unseen object. It took Data a total of 1.74 seconds to theorise as to the reason. He held out his arm and motioned for a phaser rifle.

Worf placed a phaser rifle into Data's outstretched hand.

Data quickly made the adjustment necessary and pulled it into his shoulder to take aim.

"Data what are you doing?" Riker asked.

"Sir, I believe this creature is capable of natural camouflage," Data explained. "And while it appears almost imperceptible to the human eye, I am capable of detecting it's presence due to the rate at which the precipitation is coming down."

"Of course!" Tasha thought aloud.

"Wait, Data. Are you saying it's invisible?" Riker questioned.

"Yes, Sir. I believe it has a natural active camouflage not unlike those found among octopuses, cuttlefish, or squids. If my hypothesis is correct, the Byaki can blend in with the surrounding area so perfectly it is as if it were never here," Data said as he followed the creature with the phaser rifle.