28| The Cloak & Dagger

So this is what that saying meant

Waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Today was Christmas Eve, and after an amazing night of making love to Micah by the bonfire, the other fucking shoe finally dropped.

And Micah wanted answers. 

"Aria, please tell me what's going on. Why are you so upset?" 

Micah came to my room three minutes ago to tell me that breakfast was ready. That's when he found me standing motionless, face white as a ghost with my cell phone in my hand. 

"Aria? Did you hear me?" 

I opened and closed my mouth a few times. Then I tried swallowing. Micah stepped farther into the room. He shut the door to give us some privacy and gently guided me towards the bed. I sat down on the side and the mattress dipped when he joined me. 

"Take a deep breath and tell me what's going on," he said in a comforting voice. 

How the dell did he do that? That voice of his was my weakness. It had a way of slowing everything down when it felt like the world was spinning around me. 

I looked down at the phone in my hand. "It was my mom." 

"Is she okay? Did something happen?" 

Always concerned about me. 

"She's fine," I answered absently. "She was calling to see if I was coming to the party tonight." 

"Party? What party?" 

He was just as confused as I was. 

"My mom said that they were hosting a Christmas party tonight. My dad's company throws it every year, but because of the snow storm, they decided to throw it at his house." 

Micah was quiet for a moment while he processed the information I told him. "I thought your mom doesn't come out of her room." 

"She doesn't. She said she was going to finally leave today and that she wanted me there. She has no idea that he cut me off and basically disowned me!" I dropped my face into my hands. "I couldn't tell her the truth. What am I going to do, Micah? She's expecting me there. I don't want to upset her." 

I ran my hand through my hair. It was taking all of my energy to keep it together. "I won't even make it past the front door. I'm sure my father has me blacklisted or something." 

Micah turned towards me with a smile. "What if you don't have to get in through the front?" 

Huh? "What do you mean?" 

Micah shifted on the bed, turning sideways to face me completely. "You trust me, right?" 

My answer was immediate. "Yes."