Chapter 1 : Gambling Is Life

☯︎︎♔𝚂𝚘𝚕𝚘 𝙻𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚕𝚒𝚗𝚐♔☯︎︎

...

     A few years ago, a mysterious portal appeared into our world. News around the world spread like wild fire. All asking the same question. What's on the other side? Military forces that went inside those portals and never came back. But, those that did lost their mind. Not long after the first appearance of the first portal, more of them appeared. Humans began to experience unimaginable strengths and power. Powers like gods and the strengths like heroes. Things that would only seen in comic books and movies. However, in this world we call them, Hunters.

Somewhere in the heart of Seoul, in the scorching sun. A spiraling blue portal appeared on a construction site. While underneath the hot sun, your body was already sweating from the heat. Your whole outfit was black and so was your backpack. You hid behind the large wooden planks and stalked the group of men in front of you. You were waiting patiently for the group to head inside the blue gate. While you listened to their conversations, it seemed that they were waiting for someone. Then a scrawny boy appeared with his bright green backpack. He had black long hair that covered his ears and looked plain. He looked a bit timid as the elderlies and a girl talked to him. Your eyebrow rose as you thought, although he looks familiar... You disregarded your thought and listen to their conversation.

Then a man who was the leader of the whole organization, Mr. Song shouted, "Alright, then let's enter the dungeon!"

The crowd cheered and screamed, "Let's go!"

     They began to pack their packs and walked through there portal. You started to pump yourself up behind the wooden planks as you grin happily, "Alright, (Y/n)! Let's get ready..."

     You took a deep breath and started a count down in your head. You sternly gaze at the portal. Three. Your breath became heavy. Two. Your hands had began to sweat. One! You quickly ran towards the dungeon with your backpack bouncing behind you. You held your breath just before you went inside.

The world around you began to disappear as you felt a tingling sensation all around your body. You weren't sure if you'd make it through alive in this dungeon. You knew there was a 50/50 percent chance you would die after stumbling across the first monster you'd see. After all, you are just a regular human with no 'special' powers. The only reason you're going through with this plan anyway is to get money. Although there was a law that said that humans shouldn't pass and only hunters with licenses. You were still willing to risk it, not that you minded gambling your life away. You just thought about all the money you can have, to cover your father's medical expenses and gamble with, as well. You arrived with the rest of the group and followed behind them without making a sound. You checked around to see that you guys were in a dark and empty cave. A huge one in fact.

You guys were now under attack. You look to your far right and see the bright, petite, orange-haired girl healing the black hair boy. Apparently, during the fight, he hurt his leg. Slowly and quietly you sat near them behind a huge boulder. You watched as everyone else fought on the battlefield. It was amazing to see such powers since you usually see them only on TV. Just then, the couple in front of you began conversing.

"Jin-woo, why are you so adamant about working as a hunter?" The orange girl asked. "Fighting like this will only bring even more risks!"

(Jin-Woo...? Why does that name seem familiar?) you thought to yourself.

Jin-woo apologizes in a small voice, "Sorry..."

"I'm not saying this for an apology! I'm just worried."

She looked behind the group to see them still fighting. She sighed in frustration. The yelling and roaring died down once the fight was over. Jin-woo looked over at the group cheering for their win. You were pretty amazed to see it in first person, what hunters do in a dungeon. Of course, you're not an idiot who thinks all hunters work this well together...

"Jin-woo, do you have a reason...to not quit being a hunter?" The orange hair girl questioned. This caught your and Jin-Woo's attention. Since you were so adamantly curious about what was going on in front of you.

He responds without worry, "I'm just a hunter for fun. If I don't do this, I might die from boredom!"

Your brow rose again and question his answer. For boredom? How could you do this for boredom, when you are nearly about to die doing this every day? Ah, whatever. It isn't any of my business, you thought again.

"Looks like having 'fun' too many times will send you into the afterlife." The girl pouted.

"Pfft—" you and Jin-woo laughed. But you had covered your mouth.

"Don't laugh!! You'll open up your wound!"

"Yeah, yeah..."

Soon after Mr. Song spoke about a magical core to the group. It was something you'll get after killing a monster. He held a white bright stone with sharp edges. Everyone grabbed a few and so did you. You looked over to Jun-woo as he muttered something about money as he held a magical core. You looked at the one you were holding and thought about gambling with all that money. Then your thoughts were interrupted when a hunter shouted,

"Hey! Everyone! There's another entrance here!!"

Everyone, including you, heads near the entrance. Mr. Song leaned against to rocky wall and whispered to himself, "The double lair... Looks like it's real."

He pulled out his arm and slowly but quickly a ball of fire grew in his hand. Then he shot it across the cave and we all watched as the fire emitted light down the cave. The fire became smaller and smaller, then all at once...evaporated. Mr. Song scratched his chin and spoke, "Hmm... Everyone, listen to me for a moment."

"The gate does not close if the boss is still alive. Since the gate is still open, it seems the boss is inside there."

You gulped and continued to listen.

"Usually, we'd need to contact our guild and await their orders, but..."

You looked around and saw that people already knew what he was going to say. You also saw that some that were nervous.

"If the other hunters get to it first, our profits would dwindle. So, I wish for all of us to go kill the boss... Since it could be dangerous why don't 17 of us take a vote?" He proposed.

"And no complaint after the vote results," He finalized.

Then people started agreeing to fight as a few others didn't. I avoided people's gaze and hid behind someone. Not too far from the girl and Jin-woo as they were in front of me.

"It's 8 and 8 so far, huh? How about you Mr. Sung?" Mr. Song asked.

All eyes were on him as his final answer held the lives of these people, including yours. He clenched his fist while holding a magical core. Your brows furrowed as you were getting frustrated with his awaiting answers.

"I'm going!" He shouted with determination.

You let out a breath that you didn't know you held. You were excited, but also nervous about what was to come next. After all, this is the first boss fight you've ever gone to.

...

Vote
And
Comment
🥺