4

Asami

It's raining again and the noise of the droplets against the glass is settling. It's chilly but overall the sensation makes me smile, I look outside and a few students were running with their bags on their heads in an attempt to shield themselves from the rain. It's not really working since the wind is blowing the rain right underneath, soaking them to the bone. One of the students' blazer flaps open and it's almost like he's close to flying away.

I shouldn't really laugh, I haven't brought an umbrella again so I'll be in their situation some time soon. A paper ball finds it's way onto my book and before I could pick it up Opal snatched it from my desk.

I give her a look and she smiles apologetically, unfolding the page in the process. I watch her read it, laugh, put it down and then look over to Bolin who gives her a chuckle. What is going on? Obviously the boy overshot the paper ball and it landed on my desk.

My breath hitches as I found my gaze making it's way over to the girl that was seated behind Bolin. Korra. She was staring right back at me. Well I think she was anyway, unless she's looking out the window. I turn away in an instant, gulping as I take a sudden intrest in the date that was written on the board. That was weird. She seems a lot more tired today, almost like she's unwell. She looked so out of it, the rings under her eyes were getting darker and darker by the day.

I shake my head, I shouldn't distract myself.
"Hey, Bolin invited me to the park again after school." Opal whispers.
"Do you want to come?"

I raise a brow, there's more to this.
"Is it just you two?"

Opal pauses, so that's a no.
"His friends are coming too." Thought so.

I carry on with my work, scribbling down notes from the board. the class is chattering now as Mr Tarrlok starts to hand out a few sheets.
"I don't want to get in your way."

"I'm asking Jinora and the others too you know." Her tone as a hint of disappointment in it. She wants me to come but I don't think I'll physically be able.

I tap my pen against my chin, thinking of an excuse to get out of this. It's not that I don't want to hang out with my friends, it's just... those 4.
"I think I'm helping my parents with the car again today so I don't think I'll be able to anyway."

Opal gives me a look and I know that my lie didn't work. She sighs, like really sighs. She puts a hand on her face and pinches the bridge of her nose.
"It's because Korra's going isn't it?"

Yes.
"No, of course not." I say but it's clear that Opal wasn't convinced.
"I'm just a little busy."

"You'll have to speak to her some day you know? You are pairs after all."

It's annoying that she's right but after the encounter with Korra the other day I think I have an idea.
"We aren't going to be pairs by the end of today."

"What do you mean?" She asks, confusion riddling her words.

"I'm going to ask her to switch with someone else." I say with confidence, I feel like I could actually do this. I could actually tell Korra that I want to switch partners. It would be for the best anyway. Though, it is quite scary thinking about it. Would she get mad? Offended? She probably hasn't been told 'no' in her life before, I guess I'll be the first one. Opal's eyes squint and she stifles a laugh like I've just told her a joke.
"I'm serious Opal. I'm going to ask her to switch with someone else."

She smacks her lips.
"Yeah, tell me how that goes."

Oh I will.

<->