Chapter 18. A Predator Aboard

Hello all — and thank you for reading Hidden Truths so far! A quick PSA before you get reading this chapter, there is sexual content included here

Hello all — and thank you for reading Hidden Truths so far! A quick PSA before you get reading this chapter, there is sexual content included here. It's brief, but it's here. Additionally, there are references to gender-based violence in this chapter as well. Nothing explicit, but assumptions are made. Anyway, that's it! Happy reading! - Candice 

...

The dim room had been left in a disarray from the night's rocky waters. Aleta dumped the contents of her bag out on the desk and reached for the book in the candlelight. Curious, she flipped through the pages, searching for any insight on why the book held such importance. Her brows furrowed. The pages were blank.

It made no sense.

A knock at the door caused Aleta to jump.

"Open up!" The familiar voice called out.

As Aleta turned the lock behind him, Samir pressed against her.

"I don't understand." She started. "The book is blank, what use is it to anyone?"

He was standing so close she could hardly breathe.

Aleta took a step back, her movement hindered as she backed into the wall. Beyond the bedroom walls crew members screamed. She could hear them preparing the cannons.

Aleta watched as Samir's fingers reached and lingered at her waist.

"What are-?"

But he held a finger up, pressing it against her lips. When she remained silent he smiled, tracing his hand down her chin. She shivered as he worked himself down, and her breath hitched when he stopped to rub a gentle finger over her. Aleta was confused, she had felt the moment as they danced, but did not believe it would amount to this. She wondered what he was thinking, why he would pursue her now, like this, with all the chaos that was about to unfold.

"Shouldn't you be with your crew?" She muttered, her voice heavy to her own surprise. She was already hoping he would say no...That he would stay and finish what he had begun. It had been a long time since Aleta had been touched, and although she was not sure what this was... in this moment, she wanted it to happen.

"I would rather be here with you." He replied, leaning in closer. Aleta looked up, anticipating the sight of his honey eyes in the candlelight, deep and heavy. He inched closer, spreading her legs with his knee as she looked — but his eyes were not his own. They were dark, black and endless where the white's should have been. As he opened his mouth a scream escaped, a dark and sinister shrill that made Aleta's blood run cold. She pushed him away, her hands reaching for the dagger at her side.

"Who are you?" She cried, scrambling to get to the door.

He grabbed her, tossing her body into the bed. The dagger fell out of her hand, sliding out of sight under the desk.