Chapter 10. The Alehouse of Elkhorn

Within a few hours' ride they had arrived at Elkhorn. The village was quaint, kept, and stood nestled against giant overcasting trees. Their shadows towered, engulfing homes and villagers alike. At first glance the old homes sprinkled around the main street resembled the Socouyants' cottage, only inhabited and slightly more maintained throughout the years. Here, there was the love and warmth that had been missing from the old woman's cottage.

"Shall we grab a drink?" Asked Orius as they approached the local tavern.

It was packed and smelled like ale and bodies, both stale.

"Grab the corner table." Orius instructed as he walked off to the bar.

Samir and Aleta approached the dark lit corner. Across from them, two men sang drunkenly to themselves, which elicited a smile from Aleta as she took a seat at the table. Her hands stuck to the counter as she pressed her palms against it. Life past the wall didn't seem as different as she had imagined. She wondered if she recalled the drunken song, as it reminded her of a melody she had once heard in a city tavern.

"Have you ever been to a tavern before?" Samir asked as he pushed her chair in. "Or are they below your station, being an agent for Drika and all?"

Aleta snorted.

"Is that what you think of me? That I am an agent for Drika?"

"Well why else would you hate Samas so much? You practically spit at the name and let's not forget you agreed to this journey to retrieve an item for her."

"I don't hate Samas." It was true, she didn't. "I was shocked when I saw the wall." Aleta paused, reflecting on how the sounds and sights of Elkhorn were not much different from where she grew up. She thought about the way Samir had gone on about Drika spreading propaganda, and felt embarrassed. They had been told the stars no longer existed — no matter where you were. Maybe she had been wrong about other things as well. "It's not the easiest thing to realize you have been brainwashed your entire life."

"So you admit it?" He replied.

"I still don't understand the fruit thing..."

"Aleta." He groaned, taking his face into his hands. "She lets them rot before she gives them out."

"Oh."

He shook his head.

"Well I'm not here for her, anyway."

"Then why are you here?"

"I told you. Mother. And. Powers." Aleta looked over to him suspiciously. He asked so many questions of her but barely spoke of his own intentions.

As if reading her very thoughts Samir looked up, "You want answers?" He asked, his voice almost demanding. "Ask."

But she didn't, she only stared at him reluctantly, as if concerned it was a trick.

"I'm feeling generous tonight — maybe it's gratitude for what you did back there in the hags cottage. Although stupid, it was..." he paused, "brave."

"Bravery is only a form of stupidity." Aleta responded.

"Yes," Samir replied as he leaned forward, his hands folding on the table, "but it's the kind we applaud."

"So what?" Asked Aleta, "you'll answer my questions now?"

She watched as he raised a single brow, "maybe."

When her eyes settled on the stars through the window she sighed, "Why don't we know about them?"

Samir followed her vision.