The Cottage

Pulling into the driveway, Elena saw a decent sized two story white house with a black door. She felt a mix of anticipation and a little fear of what this weekend would bring as she got out of the car. Bucky went to get their bags from the trunk while Elena stood there taking it in. It was more like a cottage than a house with a quaint charm that drew her in with a small fenced yard and garden that was full of flowers.

The flowers filled the air with an intoxicating scent that she breathed in as she followed Bucky up the path to the house. On either side of the front door there were two large bay windows. She imagined that if this was their home she would sit in those windows drinking tea while looking out into the garden. Buck punched in the code to the key box that hung on the doorknob. Once he had the key he unlocked it and they walked inside.

Looking around, they saw on the left of the entryway was the dining room and to the right was the living room. Straight ahead were the stairs to the second floor with the hall that led to the kitchen and the back of the house. Elena stayed downstairs while Bucky took their bags up to the bedroom so she could explore a bit.

The living room was a good size, but still cute. It had hardwood floors like the rest of the house she'd seen so far. There was a fireplace in the far wall that had a decent sized TV mounted above it. A new small bluish-grey couch faced the fireplace in front of it was a small square glass coffee table that sat on a cream colored rug. The wall behind the couch had built-in shelves on either side of the entryway that were mostly empty except for a few books, a small record player and some records. The bay window in this room had a bench seat that doubled as a bookshelf, but there weren't any books. It was overall lovely, but empty like the owners had just tossed in the basics and rented it out.

She stood at the window looking out to the garden not being able to see much in the dark except her own reflection. The sound of Bucky's soft footsteps came up behind her until he wrapped one arm around her. The other pulled her hair to the side so he could kiss her neck Elena tilted her head to give him more access to trail his lips up from her shoulder to under her ear. He whispers into her ear as he pulls her tighter against him. "I love you, Elena."

Smiling at their reflection she repeats his sentiment happily. "I love you too, James."

He turned her so that she was facing him. Holding her right hand in his left, he placed her left hand on his shoulder. "Dance with me?"

Elena nods her head yes as she smiles up at him as Bucky starts to sway them back and forth while he hummed. Letting go of her left hand he grasps her waist and slowly turns them in a slow circle. Content to dance in the dim room with only him, she lays her head on his chest and closes her eyes enjoying this moment with just the two of them. She wasn't sure for how long they danced, but the closing of a car door outside some time later broke them from their reverie.

"I'll go help, Steve, stay here." Whispering to not completely break the moment he gave Elena a quick kiss and walked outside. A few moments later they came inside carrying a couple grocery bags each and Steve's overnight bag.

"How do you guys like the house?" He asked when she followed them into the decently sized kitchen.

"It's a dream, Steve. I'm so glad you found this place. I've dreamed of living in a place like this one day." He seemed pleased at her answer, giving her a quick kiss on the forehead. They start to put away the groceries as she looks around. "I'm glad you like it. You can come here anytime you want." He tells them offhandedly.

Bucky and Elena share a glance before looking at him in confusion. "Do you know the owners?"

"I am the owner. I bought it last month." It made so much more sense now why there weren't any pictures or personal items in the house and why it had an empty feel to it.