Chapter 4

Another Family meal. I was tugging my dress on when Tammie came barging in squealing like a preteen at a One Direction concert.

"Guess who mum invited!" Tammie said. I shrugged, not really caring about anyone other than Hunter.

"Sam Reed." 

My mouth opened. Wide. "Why'd you let her do that?" I asked furious. Sam Reed was my potty training friend and my neighbour. He used to force feed me roly-polys and bogies.

"What do you mean? He's gorgeous now!" Tammie exclaimed, I haven't seen him in about 7 years, so I guess he could have changed.

"Hunter's bringing a date." Tammie said. My heart clenched but I ignored it. The thing that happened last week in assembly was just that; a thing.

"Why'd you tell me?" I asked, forcefully tugging my shoes on. 

Tammie shrugged, "Just thought you should know." I nodded and walked out my room, pushing past Tammie.

~*~

Sat around the table with Hunter opposite me sat next to Jackie Sailor and Sam Reed on my right, trying to make conversation, was awkward to say the least.

"So you gonna ask for my number or what?" He asked nudging my arm and winking, I grimaced before putting on a smile, "Or what." I replied. He laughed loudly, so loud the whole table stopped what they were doing to check if he was okay. I looked at Hunter who was smirking but his attention was grabbed by the blonde bubbly barbie next to him.

"You're funny, Aubrey. More funny than I remember." He said, taking a sip of his drink. 

I narrowed my eyes, "Thank you?" It's going to be a long night.

"Remember that time when you ran all the way home from Georgetown Park." Sam said, spluttering on his drink.

"Yeah, but you do know I ran home because you shoved that roly-poly in my mouth, right after making me drink out the lake. I had to disinfect my mouth." I laughed remembering the memory, even though it wasn't funny back then it was a little now. When I lifted my head I saw Hunter giving Sam dead eye, if looks could kill Sam would be long gone.

"So what school do you go to Sam?" Hunter asked. I looked at them both with wide eyes. It's just a question Aubrey, relax.

"Fairfield Academy." Sam replied. 

Hunter nodded looking impressed. "High GP?" Hunter asked. Where was he going with this?

"You could say that, my parents were strict on education. I was brought up academically." Sam explained. I always remember his mum making sure all his homework was done before coming out to play.

"So your very intellectual, but extremely discourteous?" Hunter asked. My eyes widened and looked at hunter who had his arms folded and was leaning forward.

"Excuse me?" Sam asked, putting the drink that he had just picked up back down.

"You can't talk to girls with respect and you have no manners." Hunters eyes flickered to mine, I shook my head begging him to stop.

"Do you wanna say that face to face without a table in the middle of us?" Sam questioned standing up. 

I grabbed his arm. "Sam, sit down." I said. He ignored me and continued to have a stare down with Hunter. Hunters chair scraped backwards and he slowly rose to his feet. I have to admit he looked intimidating.

"Both of you sit down." I said, standing up as well. Jackie tugged on Hunters arm, begging him to back down and be the bigger man. I rolled my eyes at her.