Vingt-deux

"I really hope you meet someone who will love you more than you do."

- Ending Scene; IU

Mikala POV

"Cheer up Mikala, mistakes happen." Yuki stifled a laugh as she pats my shoulder. "Don't be such a sore loser."

Hearing this, I turned around to glare at the cheerful girl but upon seeing her flinch under my gaze I let out a sigh, "Look, I don't really care that I lost. I'm just upset about how I lost." I explained, sinking back into Ryoko's arms, I allowed the fuchsia haired girl to continue to stroke my hair as a pouted, "They didn't even get a chance to taste it, I worked so hard they didn't even taste it."

"Yeah, it was unexpected but it couldn't be helped." Ryoko agreed, her eyes looking up at the ceiling as if she was recalling a found memory. Letting out another huff, I also allowed myself to think back on the embarrassing loss I suffered just an hour ago.

~Flashback to one hour ago~

BUZZZ!

"Time's up! Now let's begin the judging process, Yukihira you're up first."

Stepping back, I watched as the red head grabbed his trey and walked up to the judging panel, sending me a playful wink as he passed my station.

"Well here goes, order up: Yukihira-style beef stew...Fall Selection Special!" Soma introduced his dish with a confident smile on his face. Leaning forward, I peaked at his dish a curious eyebrow raising at the sight of the various meats that littered the bowl.

"Are you playing with us?" Tsunozaki asked, looking down at the bowl in disgust, "I've never seen a beef stew like-"

"What are you saying?" Soma cut her off taking the alumni aback. "That's beef stew alright. After all, they're all garnishes."

While the judges seemed to take his words with shock, I found myself shaking my head at his loophole, of course Soma would think of something like that. I watched as the judges tasted his dish, occasionally stating praises between...moans? Swatting away that thought, I began to set my bowls of stew on the trey since Soma's judgement was coming to an end.

Just as I finished the announcer spoke up, "What a tasty looking dish! I wonder how Park will top that dish. Next to the judging panel, Park Mi-"

Like last time, a section of the crowd began to let out chants of my name, yet unlike last time I didn't feel flustered from the attention.

Finally, I could present the ultimate beef stew. All those late nights and early mornings I worked to make this stew, the highs and lows, the goods and bads. All lead to this moment. Pausing, I turned towards the crowd where I knew Subaru was seated. Meeting his eyes, I saw that the buff teen was crying, he was there from the begin to the end of this stews journey, all the prototypes and failed recipes, he tasted them all and witnessed the birth of this beef stew.

Nodding towards him I turned back to the table, grabbing the trey before lifting it off the table. Excitement filled me as I placed a foot forward, proud to present my one-of-a-kind stew.

But before I could make it even one step, the dreadful happened.

The trey...broke.

The room went painfully silent, you'd think I went deaf from how sudden all noise ceased. Blinking a few times in confusion, I slowly looked down to see my precious stew spilled on the ground. The stainless white bowls they were in shattered. My pants that were once a clean grey color now stained with splashes of brown from where the stew splattered o them from their fall.