Stella & The Call Off

Start from the beginning

I gasp briefly as the two women beside me smile widely.

Julius continues, "I promise to not let any of you down. Ashford Industries will continue to thrive, during my time as CEO and after my time as well. Thank you."

The audience begins to applaud as the cameramen continue to take pictures. I was still partially in shock that he had just told the world that I was the love of his life.

"That was so sweet!" My mother gushes as I stand there dumbfounded. "I have a feeling we're getting baby news today." Mrs. Ashford says happily as she pokes my belly. I give a fake laugh as I ignore both of them, not sure if I should be insulted or not.

Julius comes from backstage with his father and is swarmed by people eager to talk with him. Few people came up to talk to me as well, most of them being reporters.

When everything dies down Julius approaches me as I'm talking with my mother. "Good evening Mrs. Harris. I mean Lisa." He corrects. My mother smiles, "Julius! Your speech was wonderful."

He nods, "Thank you. We will be seeing you at the restaurant this evening correct?"

She nods, "Of course. Mr. Harris is around here somewhere. I'll see both of you later." My mother kisses my cheek before saying goodbye to both of us and walking away.

"You okay?" Julius asks me. I nod, not meeting his eyes. "Yeah let's just get out of here."

He nods before leading me through the crowd and toward our car in the parking garage. "You're not okay Stella." He says as he shuts the driver's side door.

"Why did you say I'm the love of your life?" I ask quietly.

He quirks his brow, "Because I believe you are."

I shake my head quickly, "You don't know that."

He furrows his brows in confusion, before turning to have me. He holds my hand in his before he begins to speak again. "Stella I lo-"

I quickly cut him off once I realize what he's about to say, "I just think we should slow down. You asked me to try this out with you. I'm enjoying it, and you mean so much to me. But I'm not ready for the L-word. Please just give me time."

His eyes widen in shock, and a hint of sadness can be seen beforenit fades away. He nods in understanding as he kisses my forehead, "You're right. I didn't consider how you might feel." He sighs, "I guess I was so eager to say it because I wanted to assure you of my feelings. So that there's no doubt about me in your head."

"I don't doubt you Julius. It's just too soon for me." I say as I look down.

"I understand, take all the time you need. I'll be here." He places his hand pack on the ignition, "But just know that I meant it."

I smile at him silently as he starts the car and drives us to the nearby restaurant.

It wasn't that I didn't have strong feelings for Julius. And I believed he had strong feelings for me. But the thought of us being in love with each other just sounds dangerous. The more we admit these feels, the more vulnerable we are to heartbreak. I didn't want to break his heart, and I certainly didn't want mine broken again.