Nine

Helena was taken to a new cell in a Shield facility, upstate New York. Her powers were unstable and connected to her emotions. Wanda kept visiting, but Helena was torn between wanting her big sister there, and wanting her to leave so she wouldn't get hurt. She was a mess. Helena grieved and blamed herself for her brother's death. She should have been faster. She should have tried harder.

When Wanda slowly began to heal, with the help of Vision- not that she talked to Helena about him much, Helena felt both happy for her, and upset with herself. A small part of her didn't understand how Wanda could ever move on. She knew Wanda was still in pain and that she grieved the loss of her brother everyday, but with the help of Vision, Wanda was able to control her powers. She began to heal, and Helena couldn't understand how.

Thor had returned to Earth from Asgard, but Shield wouldn't let him speak to Helena or even Wanda. They wanted to keep the number of visitors Helena had limited. Eventually Thor's pestering insistence that he had to see her paid off, especially when he gave in and told Fury why. Wanda was visiting Helena when he came. The girls looked up and when Thor saw Helena behind the glass, looking so small and sad, he felt a tug at his heart. For a moment, he just stared at her until Wanda spoke up.

"Did you find anything?" She asked.

Thor looked at her before hesitating once more.

"...yes."

"And?" Wanda asked.

"Helena, I know who your parents are." Thor finally said.

"What?" Helena asked in astonishment, voice breaking.

"Your mother is Asgardian, her name was Runa Carrdottir. I'd known her for years- she was one of the kindest yet fiercest woman I've ever met."

"Runa." Helena whispered before looking up, "So why did she leave me? And who is my father?"

"Your father... he's, uh, Asgardian too..." Thor trailed off.

"Who is he?" Helena asked.

"He's my brother."

Helena's eyes widened and Wanda inhaled sharply. Disbelief flashed across Helena's face.

"W-what?"

"Loki Odinson- or Laufeyson. He was adopted."

Helena's mouth opened and closed, so many questions running through her head, she didn't know where to begin. Black matter began to seep from her body.

"Helena." Wanda called gently.

"Why did they leave me?" Helena repeated, not looking at Thor.

"There was a prophecy about the goddess of Death being a key factor in Ragnarok- the end of Asgard. You are the goddess of Death, Helena. When my father, Odin, found out your mother was pregnant, he knew that you were to be the one. He- he banished her to Midgard before Loki even knew you existed. We were told she died in a fire- we did not know, Helena.  I didn't know, I would have searched for you until the end of time if I knew."

Helena looked up, tears in her eyes. She tried to control her breathing and the magic around her.

"What happened to my mother?" She asked quietly.

"She grew sick. Runa grew very sick shortly after your birth and she passed away. There was no medicine on Midgard to save her."

"But there was on Asgard?" Helena guessed.

"When I was young, I thought my father was the best king there ever was. Now I see differently." Thor said.

"He knew that my mother was sick? He knew that she would die here, but he did nothing?!" Helena demanded, growing more angry with every word.