chapter 26

She found Bella as soon as she stepped outside, or rather, Bella found her.

"Did we have a relapse from this morning, dear sister?" Bella said lazily from her place on the wall, though Andromeda could see the cold glint in her eyes.

"What?" Andromeda asked, before it hit her. Bella had made her talk to Rabastan this morning, and now she must've witnessed Andromeda's cool greeting just moments before.

"He seems to think you're not very interested in being his fiancé." Bella continued with that same, slow drawl.

Andromeda breathed deeply, no matter how hard she tried she couldn't seem to escape thoughts of Rabastan. It twisted knots of guilt and anxiety inside her. "I know," she paused, "I'm sorry." But she couldn't think about Rabastan now, she had to help Narcissa. "But I really need to—"

"Of course, I reassured him he was being ridiculous. My sister would never dream of defying our families wi—"

"Bella," Andromeda hissed. "I got it, all right? But there's something I really need to discuss with you."

Bella almost choked, her eyebrows raising as she gazed at her sister, as though trying to make sure it was in fact Andromeda who stood in front of her. Andromeda's who interrupted her. She'd never interrupted Bella before, she'd never dared, and they both knew why. But Andromeda couldn't back down, not this time.

"Very well," Bella peeled herself off the wall, giving Andromeda her full attention. "What is it?"

"I," and just like that, her strength dissolved. She wasn't entirely convinced Bella had really forgiven her for the interruption. Forgiveness wasn't really in her sister's nature. Would Bella even believe her? She certainly didn't trust Andromeda.

"I'm waiting," Bella said, the impatient tone creeping back into her voice.

Meda took a deep breath. Hopefully, Bella would realize, whatever else they differed on, that they both wanted what was best for Narcissa.

"Have you noticed anything different about Narcissa lately?" Meda asked, choosing her words carefully.

The irritated line disappeared from Bella's face, her eyes widening a little. "I suppose, now that you mention it, yes."

"I, I think it's because she's been seeing someone."

"Someone?" Bella repeated, lines forming around her eyebrows as she pinched them together.

Andromeda breathed. Why couldn't she just get the words out? Tell her sister exactly what was happening? "Rodolphus."

"Rodolphus?" Bella let out a snort. "Are you sure?"

And now something else occurred to her. How was she supposed to explain how she knew? She couldn't very well tell her she was sneaking around at night. Bella would want to know why. And then she would see that Meda was keeping something from her. Something big.

"Did Cissa tell you?" Bella asked, cutting to the chase.

Andromeda let out a shaky breath. She couldn't lie to Bella, not this time. "No, not exactly."

Bella's eyes narrowed. "Then how do you know?"

And there it was. The question she couldn't answer, not honestly anyway. But if she tried to lie again, Bella would see right through her.

"I...well, I... I just..."

"Andromeda," Bella placed her hands on both of Meda's shoulders. "I want you to imagine something for me. Imagine there are limited number of words a person can use in their lifetime. And once they use them all up, they die."