The No Good, Very Bad Date

Author's Note: So I posting a day early since tomorrow my family and I are going to pick up a puppy. Its out of town so my parents are making a day trip of it and I don't know if I'll have time to post it then. So it got moved to today!

     'You're fine Ludwig. You can do this. Nothing's really changed, right? You've gone out to eat with him so many times before...but... it was never like this. We're lovers now. I know nothing about being a lover. What if I disappoint him? What if he wants to break up? What if-'

     Germany's doubts were cut short by the opening of the door. England came into view, dressed in a dark blue suit with slicked-back hair. His cheeks were dusted in a light pink, but his eyes shone with contentment. "You look great," he states, looking over the German.

     "Y-Y-Y-Yes...well...I-I had to...after all w-we're..."

     England took hold of Germany's upper arms. "Darling, take a deep breath." Germany complied with the request. The breath cleared his mind slightly and as he looked back at England, he felt a lot lighter than before. "There we are. No need to get worked up over this. It's just me."

     "I'm good now. Thank you. You look amazing too."

     "Th-Thank you." They were silent for a moment. England slid his hands down to connect them with Germany's, swinging them slightly. "Well...I suppose we should get going."

     "Agreed."

     'Perhaps things won't be so bad,' Germany thought as they made their way to England's car.

---

     He couldn't have been more wrong. The restaurant itself was nice. It was small in size, but the beige, white, and gold colour scheme gave it an elegant and classy look. He didn't know if it was the size or the décor or the man sitting in front of him, but Germany found the air to be thick and he couldn't relax. He definitely wasn't able to hold a conversation without sounding nervous or agitated despite England's attempts.

     "So...ah...how are your dogs?" England asked.

     Germany looked up from organizing his silverware. "They're good. Berlitz can be a bit too energetic at times, but that's just who he is. I think they miss you."

     "Oh really?"

     "I find them sitting at the door sometimes and every time the doorbell rings they all barrel over and are just more excited than usual."

     England let out a light laugh that sent Germany's heart into a fluttering mess. "If that's true, I'll have to head over there in the next week. Maybe next weekend?"

     "Th-That works for me."

     As their conversation came to an end, their food arrived. Germany was relieved to finally have an excuse not to talk and have something else to focus on. Despite finally having the comfort of silence, the guilt of wanting that silence suddenly sunk in. This was England. His friend and now lover. Conversation was essential, yet Germany found it hard to hold a simple one. In an attempt at an apology, he reached over to take hold of England's hand, but he ended up knocking over a drink and spilling it all over England. He was immediately at England's side, frantically patting at his soaked thigh. "Oh my god! Arthur, I'm so sorry."

     "It's fine love. Things happen."

     "You're not mad?"

     England let out another laugh. "Why would I be mad over something as small as this?"

     Germany shifted his eyes to the side. Sure England had a temper, but he rarely showed it when it was just the two of them. He felt kind of embarrassed by the assumption. Now he may have just insulted his date on top of everything else. 'No, overthinking such things. That's what has gotten you into all this in the first place.' England placed a reassuring hand on his which was the final thing Germany needed to calm down.

     After he finished drying up what he could, Germany took his seat once more. The rest of the meal went well and conversation became a little easier. England broke the ice with stories of his own embarrassing moments, eventually getting Germany to laugh along with him.

     By the time the meal came to an end, the two lovers were in a good mood. However, just as things seemed to be going well and the conversation was flowing, the bill arrived and both men reached for the receipt. "Don't worry Lud, I've got it. I'm a gentleman after all."

     "I can't let you do that. I'm the one who invited you here in the first place. I'll get it."

     "No, I insist love," England stated, his lips twisting into a slight frown. This back and forth went on for a good fifteen minutes, quickly souring the mood. Neither was willing to give up due to their own morals (and/or pride). Eventually, Germany proposed splitting the bill would be the fairest option and England begrudgingly agrees.

     After everything was settled, the two headed out into the cool night. Things seemed to become calm once more, though Germany still felt uncertain and guilty. "I-I'm sorry for messing up so much," Germany murmured as they made their way to the car.

     "Oh, I've had far worse with people I didn't actually like, at least like that. Something as small as first date nerves with a man a love dearly is nothing to fret over." he stopped and turned towards Germany with a wide smile. "If anything, it was endearing."

     Germany brought his attention to his feet and his face flushed. "Still, I feel bad and I want to make it up to you."

     "Well...there is one thing," England said with a smirk. That nervous feeling returned in Germany's stomach as England pulled him into a little alley. Knowing what the Brit was implying, he agreed, placing his hands on England's hips and pulling him in closer. He didn't go in right away, letting his gaze linger on England's lips for a moment. They were fair, somewhat small and they looked soft. From the last kiss they shared, they didn't just look soft, but he still had to test it out to make sure they were as soft as he remembered. Taking in a sharp breath, he leaned forward, pressing a hard and quick kiss onto England's lips. It was short, much to England's disappointment, but it was an easy fix. England pulled Germany down into a longer, more gentle kiss with slightly parted lips and caresses along each other's bodies. Germany felt like he was on cloud nine.

     "I love you," he whispered as they pulled away for air.

     England gave him another sweet and rare smile. "I love you too. More than anything."