Chapter 6 - Fighting and Moves

Start from the beginning

Sam was quiet for a moment. "Well, my tail only really hurts when it comes in contact with water." He said thoughtfully. "I guess it would feel the opposite for you? I mean, most other Pokémon seem to like the rush of cool water on them, are humans the same way?"

This was an interesting thought. Could it be that fire-type Pokémon like Sam were more attracted to heat and fire? "Well, for the most part, a lot of us would like to take showers and even baths."

"Well, I can't stand water!" Sam said with his tongue out, wearing a face of utter disgust. "I mean, it's good to drink water of course, but other than that, I hate it! I never take baths if I can help it! If I could find somewhere hot and humid, that'd be the best for me!"

I could tell Sam was serious about this. Is Sam just a really serious type of person? He seemed to get flustered when I've joked with him, and he completely broke down that one time. Maybe I need to ask him about how he feels about me?

"Hey Sam?"

"Yeah?"

"Are you... okay with jokes?"

"Wha-what do you mean am I okay with jokes? I love 'em!"

"It's just that, earlier, the other day when I was saying we shouldn't make a team... I was trying to joke around with you."

"Uh- really? I thought that you really just didn't like me or something! That wasn't a really nice joke!"

"Yeah, I guess it wasn't." I looked down as we walked. "I just had thought that by that point, you would know that I wasn't just gonna leave you."

"S-sorry." Sam said. "I- I haven't been the most social Pokémon in my life. Maybe I just didn't get the joke?"

"Yeah.. I was trying to be sarcastic- at that time."

Sam held out a big sigh. "When I was younger, a lot of my brothers and sisters would play and fight and practice their moves... my family and everyone I knew were into that kinda stuff... everyone except for me. I didn't like getting hurt or bruised or anything like that. I felt... out of place.

"Eventually when it was time for us all to leave home, I didn't want to leave. Everyone else was leaving, but I just felt alone. I'd rather stay inside and read a book about fighting than learn how to fight. Because of that, I didn't have much of a relationship with other Pokémon my age.

"Eventually, I decided that it was time, and so I left my parent's home, and moved to that forest. I didn't really talk with others much, and I only really read books about adventuring so that I could maybe do it myself one day. Then I met you, and I thought 'this is my chance! I should go on an adventure with you!' That's when I decided that I would stop being such a baby and go fight."

I listened to Sam. So that's why he didn't take my joke, he's more of a fragile person... "Well Sam, maybe I could let you know what's a joke or not until you get it?"

"Yeah, I'd like that. Thanks."

"Of course... you big chicken!" I nudged him in the arm as he looked over at me. I smiled at him, and he got the message that it was a joke. He smiled back.

I was beginning to think things would get better.

——————————-

Eventually, we arrived at our next spot to camp for the night. We laid out everything and then Sam said we should try battling each other.

"Wait, like, me fight you?!" I said, slightly panicked at the thought of my fire companion burning me. "What about your fire?!! I don't want to get burned!!!"