1780, A Winter's Ball

Mulai dari awal

"To find husbands," she says, repeating what we've been told so many times. I would've begged my mother to let me stay home from this ball if I hadn't known Peggy was being forced to come. We're silent for a long few moments, just thinking. She squeezes my hand, and I look back at her.

"I wish we didn't have to find husbands," she says softly. I know the intention behind those words. If we could be together...I would be with her. I turn my hand over slowly, intertwining our fingers together. Her hand has always fit so perfectly in mine.

"I know, as do I." I remain trapped in her soft gaze, allowing myself this one moment. If we were alone, I would kiss her. But we aren't, so instead I pull my hand away and rip my gaze away from her. "But we can't. It is another bind of society." The dejection in her sigh breaks my heart. Curse all those laws and the judgement of society. Curse them for keeping me away from her.

"I'm aware," is all that she mutters back. We sit there in another long silence, not as comfortable as the others. There's a loud crowd of laughter behind me, and I curiously look over my shoulder to look at the source. And, of course - because god and the universe cannot punish me enough with the single thing of not being able to openly love Peggy - the source of the laughter is none other than Alexander Hamilton. He's surrounded by a small group. A couple of ladies, Lafayette, and another soldier I don't recognize.

"Well, would you look who's here.The tomcat himself," Peggy says, almost in amusement. I scoff and turn away from Alexander to look back at her.

"Of course. He's at every party, ball, and get-together that the General can afford to let him attend. Everyone knows he's looking for a wealthy wife," I say, a slight tinge of annoyance in my tone. I'm not wrong. Alexander has been at every party I've been to recently, always flirting with and charming ladies (and men). He never even says hello to me. It's...Frustrating. I notice that Peggy has begun to smirk at me. Oh, dear, that's often a dangerous look.

"Well, well. You wouldn't happen to be a wealthy young woman, would you?" she asks, teasing me. My mouth falls open in disbelief, and I smack her arm.

"Peggy! I'm not an object to be browsed!" I scold halfheartedly, holding back a playful grin. Her smirk doesn't diminish. If anything, it grows.

"Ah, but he would not be browsing if you expressed interest. He is the one you were shot protecting," she points out. I cross my arms and lean back against my chair, furrowing my brows in dismay. That isn't untrue. I did get shot for him. I tackled him to the ground, taking a bullet to the side. I resist the urge to reach down as a ghost of pain sends goosebumps across my skin. My grip on myself tightens.

"Perhaps. He denies that fact, however. No soldier in his correct mind would admit to having their life saved by a woman," I mutter, feeling just the slightest bit bitter. Alexander hasn't spoken to me since the day I woke up after being shot. We've exchanged a few polite letters on behalf of the General, but that is the limit upon our interactions. I glance up as Peggy pats my shoulder sympathetically.

"You know he's far too cocky for his own good, and his ego could fill this room. Don't take it personally when it is coming from him," she says. And I know that she's right. Alexander is egotistical and full of himself, but that doesn't mean that his denial of what I did for him doesn't feel like a betrayal. She pokes my cheek, and I look at her and giggle.

"Alright, fine. I suppose you're right," I say, grinning at her. She pulls her hand away and leans back in her chair, smiling slightly at me, before glancing over my shoulder for a moment.

"He's looking at you," she says casually. I have a fleeting moment wondering who is looking at me, before I realize. Alexander. I raise an eyebrow at her.