3 Boy Looks Good In Flannel

Never in my life had I met a woman like Addison Harris. She was clever, she was funny, and she was drop dead gorgeous. Even now, a day later, I couldn't keep my mind off of her. I had put fourteen hours and sixty five miles between us and still I saw her mocking grin when I closed my eyes. I leaned back in my chair and rubbed my eyes, sighing in frustration. I had read the opening paragraph of this contract at least three times now and wouldn't be able to recall a single word of it if you held a gun to my head. Why did she have to have those piercing green eyes? Those lovely lips? Those insane curves? I sat up straight and cleared my throat. Better not think of the curves.

"El?" someone asked and I glanced up to see Austin standing in my doorway. I heard Mackenzie speak up in protest at the interruption but Austin gestured toward me and told her kindly, "I'm a friend. It's- No, I'm just-"

"Mackenzie," I called and the girl popped her head into my office.

"I'm so sorry Mr. Taylor. I didn't see him until-"

"It's alright. Mackenzie, this is my oldest friend, Austin Johnson. He's allowed into my office anytime, alright?"

She nodded, wide eyed, and muttered an apology to Austin before rushing off back to her desk. I shook my head as he entered my office. She always took it so seriously. She was new and still very nervous about her role. But I wasn't admonishing her, just helping her learn. Jade had known about Austin's long standing invitation to my office but Jade was gone now and I would have to train Mackenzie in all the things that my old receptionist simply knew. Austin entered now, shutting the door behind him, and took the seat across from me. He opened a plastic bag and tossed me a gatorade and some chips. I smiled as I caught them. Austin always came bearing food.

"A thank you," he said with a smile, straightening up as he did. "For taking the Harris case pro bono. I know it's significantly less than your hourly rate."

I laughed and uncapped the bottle, tilting it to my lips and taking a swig.

"It'll do," I told him. "Really though Austin, I'm happy to do it. For Jenny and for you."

Austin smiled, "Still. I appreciate it. Jenny said you went over last night."

"Oh? How does Jenny know that?"

"Sawyer told her on the phone this morning. Said you had some really good ideas on some promising leads. I know you're trying to manage expectations, El, and I get that but they're all really hopeful anyway."

"Not all of them."

"What do you mean?"

"I get the sense the sister doesn't care for me."

To my surprise, Austin's lips twitched to a frown.

"Addison doesn't trust new people too often and she's got reason not to," he told me. At the mention of her name, my ears perked up in interest. But, trying to appear as though I wasn't affected, I nodded and turned my attention back to my monitor, pretending to read, though there could have been a cat playing a tuba on that screen and I would have taken no notice of it.

"Oh?" I asked casually. "Painful past?"

"I'd say so. Hey, when's the next time you're headed over? Jenny said something about later today?"

"Yeah," I answered, trying to hide my disappointment at the quick change of topic. "We've set up a meeting between the Harris' and the Moores'. I'm hoping we can have a bit of arbitration, try to work through the anger and get to a place where we can settle this matter out of court."

"Hm. Well, good luck with that. If I were you, I'd have a back up plan. Or three."

Austin stood then and turned back for the door. We said our goodbyes and he headed out of my office, leaving me reeling from this miniscule tidbit of information about the woman I hadn't been able to stop thinking about since I first laid eyes on her. Driven by the thought of her and the desire to be punctual in my client meetings, but mostly the former if I'm being entirely truthful, I left the office early and headed for my car and the hour long drive to the charming little farmhouse.