Chapter 60 - Gladly-

"Oh come on Delilah it won't be that baddd." Graham grins in front of me as we walk down the corridor.

"I think you are underestimating that pink toad." I huff, attempting to hold all my books.

"She is literally cotton candy with legs Delilah." Pucey speaks up in a exasperated tone from beside Grant .

"I'm telling you, something is not right with her." I argue, preparing myself as we near the dark arts classroom.

"Whatever you say." Graham dramatically sighs while Pucey yanks me through the door.

Entering the room, I notice that the class was oddly quiet, not a single sound from the Slytherins or the Gryffindors. Looking towards the front of the class, Umbridge is perched in her chair, a pinched smile on her face.

"Well, good afternoon!"The woman announces as we all sit down.

"Fuck off." I mutter under my breath, causing Graham to elbow me in the side.

"Well now, your teaching in this subject has been rather disrupted and fragmented hasn't it? The constant changing of teachers, many of whom do not seem to have followed any ministry approved curriculum." Umbridge faces us with her hands clasped as I feel anger bubbling within me.

"Bloody toad " I mumble, eyes narrowed.

"You will be pleased to know ,however, that these problems are now to be rectified. We will be following a carefully structured, theory-centered, Ministry-approved course of defensive magic this year." Her eyes filter around the room, taking in all of our reluctant faces.

"I would like everyone to begin to read their copy of Defensive Magical Theory now. There will be no need to talk." Umbridge leaves the blackboard and and settles herself in her chair, continuing to observe us with her piercing eyes.

The classroom is deathly silent, the only noise coming from the scratching of quills. Around me, people are reading their books with perplexed features. On the other side of the room I notice the Weasley twins were in my class, glaring at the pages in their books.
Glancing down at my own reading, I begin to skim over the words and immediately feel confused.

Shooting my hand up in the air, I feel others surrounding me look up. Pucey attempts to bat my hand down, but it remains high in the air for all to see. Umbridge apparently was too transfixed with her own reading to notice my raised hand.

"Why isn't there nothing about using defensive spells in here?"I question loudly, finally gaining her attention

"Do not question unless called upon Ms...?" Umbridge peers at me inquiringly.

"Delilah Rees." I state, staring back at her.

"Well Ms. Rees in regards to your question, you will not be needing to use defensive spells within my classroom."

"We're not going to be using magic?" Fred pipes up from the front of the class, sending me a small smile.

"You'll be learning about defensive spells in a secure, risk-free way." Umbridge replies in her girlish voice.

"How are we to learn to protect ourselves then?" I question, bewildered as to what she was implying.

"Students will raise their hands when they speak in my class. It is the view of the ministry that there is nothing out there to harm you." She states, mouth screwed in annoyance.

"What about you-know-who?!" Fred Weasley exclaims from the front, taking my side on the argument once more.

"You have all been told there is a certain dark wizard at large, this is a lie." Umbridge smiles tightly as I clench my fists.

" Then what happened to Cedric?" I hear a boy with dreads ask from the the front of the class.

"That was a terrible accident." She faces the boy calmly.

"What do you mean accident?" I ask loudly, challenging her to reply.

"Once again Ms. Rees speak when called upon. I am simply stating that there are no dark wizards that killed Mr. Diggory ." She gently places her hand in her lap as I bite the inside of my cheek to remain calm.

"Still, we should know how to protect ourselves." I say evenly, blood forming within my mouth from biting down.

"I do not wish to criticize the way things have been run In the school, but you have been exposed to some very irresponsible wizards in this class, not to mention extremely dangerous half breeds."

"I hope you are not referring to professor Lupin." I seethe, veins pulsing with anger.

"Hand, Ms Rees! As I was saying, you have been introduced to inappropriate teaching methods. You have been frightened into believing that you need to protect yourselves - "

"No we haven't." Fred cuts in defiantly.

"Raise your hand Mr. Weasley! There are no dark wizards and there is certainly no reason why you will be needing defensive spells in my classroom." Umbridge huffs, lips in a tight smile.

"This is ridiculous!" I reply loudly, earning an annoyed look from the woman in pink.

"Ten points from Slytherin for your tongue Ms.Rees." She grins sweetly as I rise from my chair.

"I'm simply voicing my opinion!" I exclaim, throwing my arms up defensively.

"Sit down Ms. Rees or more point will be taken." Umbridge says in her sickly shrill voice.

"No,not until you give me a good reason as to why we are not using defensive spells." I cross my arms, challenging the professor.

"An additional ten points taken for your defiance Ms.Rees." She smiles as I feel Pucey attempt to tug me into my seat.

"I still don't quite believe that was an answer to my question." I give her a false grin, urging her to continue.

"Detention Ms.Rees!" Umbridge finally snaps, removing a slip of paper from the top of her desk.

"That's not fair!" Freds voice sounds from the front of the class as he also stands up. I look over to shoot him an appreciative smile, receiving a wink from the boy.

"Would you also like detention Mr.Weasley?" She peers up from the detention slip to send him a pointed look.

"If that's what I get for wanting an actual answer." Fred shrugs, a smirk present on his face.

"Very well, detention for both of you." The woman pulls out another slip, scribbling ferociously.

Looking across the room once more, I see Fred with a proud look plastered across his face. Gaining his attention, I give the ginger a thumbs up, smiling broadly. In return, Fred sends me a wide grin and mirrors my gesture.

"Both of you out of my classroom now." Umbridge walks over, handing us our detention slips.

"Gladly." Fred and I speak in unison, not bothering to turn around as we walk out the door.