"Who does?" Peter says, leaning around the beam. 

"Baines," George says grimly, "He wants revenge on the family that killed his wife," 

"His wife? I don't...how?" Peter stutters, struggling to wrap his head around what is happening. 

"11 years ago our father killed his wife," Daniel reveals, "He is using me in my father's place," 

"Damn," Peter sucks in a breath, "11 years to stew on revenge and plot the demise of your greatest enemy. And Lestrade?" 

"He doesn't strike me as the kind of man that needs much convincing to join a war," George says, "More money and power would be incentive enough," 

"Regardless of why he's a dead man," Daniel vows. 

"Let's concentrate on getting free first," George says, "I think I can get my hands free if I turn this way...." He shifts against the wood, the rope starting to slacken. 

Peter and Daniel join in trying to free themselves, twisting and turning, but Clarissa blocks out the three men, their urgent tones causing her a headache to start thumping, or maybe it's the blow to her head. She only opens her mouth to curse and snap at Peter as his escape attempts jolt her into the beam. He stops trying after she smacks her head on the wood and curses his name to the wind, accepting that their bonds are too tight to undo. 

Somewhile later, Clarissa's ears prick up as she hears the sound of the door opening. The boys hear it too and stop writhing against their bonds, falling silent and looking towards the stairs. 

Baines claps his hands as he comes into view, followed by Lestrade and Tom, "You are all awake, perfect," 

"And you are dead," Daniel snarls. 

Baines just laughs and walking over to Clarissa, flicking out a knife. Her breath catches in her chest and her eyes follow the blade as it dips near her heart. She can hear Daniel and George both yelling but her attention is completely fixed on the knife. It circles her collarbone and then slices down, her bonds falling away. Her legs feel shaky as Baines pulls her to her feet and drags her around to stand in front of the duke. 

Tom takes up position by Peter and Lestrade sticks to his leader's shoulder, stopping about two meters in front of Daniel. Baines rests his chin on Clarissa's shoulder, pouting as he raises the blade and runs it over her throat, not pressing harder enough to cut her but it still makes her hold her breath. She locks her muscles and stands completely still, afraid that any movement could cause him to nick her skin. Daniel's gaze is fixed firmly on the knife as it travels from shoulder to shoulder and back again. 

"What to do with you?" Baines murmers in her ear, "I could cut you in front of him, slice your throat and make him watch you bleed. Do you think he'd cry?"

Clarissa closes her eyes and wills herself not to shake. The blade vanishes and a calloused hand grips her chin as it forcing her to look down. 

"You will look at him," Baines hisses, "LOOK AT HIM!"

She slowly opens her eyes and looks at Daniel, who stares back, fear in his face. 

"Better," Baines praises and then he sneers at the duke, "I've wanted to hurt you for 11 years. 11 years of wishing you dead and finally I have you," He sighs contentedly, "I've often dreamed about how I would hurt,"

"You've dreamt of me?" Daniel snorts, "Can't say I am flattered,"

Lestrade takes a threatening step towards him but Baines waves him off. 

"Now I have a way to hurt you without lifting a finger," He runs a finger down Clarissa's cheek, "Funny how fitting it is," 

Daniel stiffens, "You will have to kill me to defeat me," 

To Deceive A DukeOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara