"You see who he is? Do you see who your husband truly is?" He spits, "He trains his weapon on his own blood, on his own kin,"

Her eyes dart from her husband to him, covering the last few paces between them. Something flickers in Daniel's face as she keeps her eyes on George but he doesn't lower his pistol. George stiffens as Clarissa wraps her arms around his back, hugging him from behind. He makes a noise of protest in the back of his throat but he doesn't push her away and she continues to hold him. 

When she feels his erratic breathing beginning to slow, she reaches forward and pushes the barrel of the gun away from his forehead, whispering something into his ear. Her words break him. The walking stick clatters to the floor and he turns around, burying his face in her shoulder as he sobs. She lets him cry into her, lowering them gently onto the bottom step, rubbing his back and soothing him with quiet words. 

Daniel stows away his pistol, watching them with something close to envy. He meets Clarissa's eyes and is about to say something but she shakes her head. 

"Get out of here," She instructs softly, "Now," 

She knows he wants to argue but she is thankful when he listens to her, and softly heads up the stairs, only looking back on the top step. 

She turns her attention back onto George who cries into her embrace until he's too exhausted to shed any more tears. He is physically drained when she helps him to his feet and leads him up the stairs to his room. He collapses into his massive bed and she tucks him in, smoothing the covers over his shattered body. She walks around to the windows and closes the curtains, plunging the room into a semi-dark state. She is about to leave when she hears him utter a bearly audible request.

"Stay with me,"

She halts in the doorway, her fingers tightening on the wood of the frame. She looks over her shoulder and her heart breaks at the vulnerability and pain on his tear-stained face. She leaves the door open and chooses to make herself comfortable on top of the quilt. He has a small, grateful smile for her when she settles into the pillows next to him, and his hand worms its way out of the covers to find hers. He squeezes it.

"Thank you,"

"I'll stay until you fall asleep," She promises, squeezing his hand back, then she has the other Cavendish to find. 

George nods and then closes his eyes. It takes him less than 10 minutes to fall into a deep slumber and soon he is snoring softly, his chest rising and falling in rhythm. Clarissa is careful not to disturb him as she gets off the bed and exits the room. She shuts the door and almost runs into Mrs Hill as she heads towards Daniel's study. 

"Excuse me, your grace," The housekeeper says, curtsying. 

"That's not necessary," Clarissa replies, smiling at the older woman, "Do you need me for anything?"

Mrs Hill returns the smile, "I wasn't expecting Master George today as I thought you were going out for the day, so I was wondering if you will be wanting breakfast and lunch? I know you are due to dine out tonight, but..." 

Clarissa internally groans, food is the last thing on her mind. 

"I am unsure of our plans, however, if you could let the kitchen know to have something to hand just in case then I would be most grateful," She replies. 

"Of course," Mrs Hill says. She looks hesitantly around the corridor and then leans forward, "Is all well? You are keeping unusual times is all and when his grace stormed past earlier, I could sense something amiss. Do you need anything?" 

Clarissa plasters a reassuring smile onto her face, "We are quite well, it has been an adventurous night is all, but I know his grace will appreciate your concern." She says, "However, if you could cancel the dinner plans and send a plate of something to George when he is awake, then that would be perfect,"