13. Sweet Mother Feyrie!

STARK white trees poked up from the ground, skeletal and lacking all the life that sang on the other side of the gully. The abundance of white that lay before them seemed to layer and overlap, melding into a mirage of bridal lace. It awed them and they stood staring for some time before setting out for the gorge that was their destination.

With no canopy of thick leaves up above them blocking the sun, it beat heavy on them as they traversed the dry land. The respite of the night had been more than welcome and had coincided with Tavis' embarrassing injury. As the sun began its descent, he had fallen over a protruding root and inadvertently given them a break. It had meant a chance for repast and the refreshment of a few hours rest.

Because of the perpetual dawn caused by the glow of the moon, they didn't plan on stopping to sleep until morning. Perhaps they'd gain an upper hand with the surprise of an attack in the dead of night. Leif could only hope.

He blinked away the stupor of sleep and crawled to the edge of the gorge where Kyden was. Laid flat, Kyden peered down at the caves that pockmarked the face of the cliff. According to the orlies, those caves—where the olm slept—were connected by many burrows; the thought made Leif shudder.

He felt Kyden's shoulder press his as he stretched out beside him, and he instinctively leaned into it. The tranquil moment and Kyden's tilted smile did not last long, as a kind of sadness tugged his mouth downward.

"There. That cave." He pointed into the gorge. "That's where we'll find your Princess."

Leif bit the inside of his lip, trying to feel no disappointment at the words. He'd been convinced for some time now that Kyden's misconceived notion that he held the Princess' heart was amounting to jealousy. "She isn't mine."

"She's more yours than you'd have us believe—you're not family."

Leif sighed. "No. But I hold no claim on her heart, Kyden. You may still take it."

Though he laughed, it was humourless. "Her heart, her hand...I don't want those. You may not hold claim on her heart, but she holds claim on yours."

Leif stared after Kyden in wonderment as he went to wake the others. My heart? A furious heat bloomed on his face, and he bit his lip sternly as he turned away. Kyden wasn't jealous of him, he was jealous of the Princess! The friendship that had grown between them throughout this journey had become far closer than propriety would allow in normal circumstances. Leif had thought he was imagining it. But now he hid his face as a smile split its surface. As he began the climb downward, his stomach danced in apprehension, but it had nothing to do with what would come in the caves.

It did not take too long to reach the cave that Kyden had pointed out as the one, and Leif, along with Killi, inched forward carefully to peer in

It did not take too long to reach the cave that Kyden had pointed out as the one, and Leif, along with Killi, inched forward carefully to peer in. Princess Leyva, in her pale green dress with her coral hair tumbling in knotted waves, was tied up but seemed otherwise unharmed. In fact, despite being guarded, the men took no notice of her presence. Leif smiled, despite the worry in the pit of his stomach—only the Princess would look utterly bored while being held captive.