Chapter 1- The Devil's Hand

"You are not joining us on this mission

               "You are not joining us on this mission." Levi said. As if the matter was not up for discussion and the decision was made. He glared at you from across the table where Erwin, Hange, Eren, and other head figures were gathered to discuss a plan for the Scout Regiment's next excursion.

         "Why the hell not?!" You directed to Levi. "You know you need a medic to tend to all the possible injuries and-" You were cut off by Levi slamming a hand on the table. You flinched, surprised, and stared as Levi stood up, placed both his palms on the table and leaned towards where you are seating. "We'll get someone else but it won't be you." Levi said and looked you dead in the eye. Exasperated, you stood up to face him head on but before you could retort back, he had already turned away and was walking across the room to leave. "Levi! Get back here. Levi!" You called to him before he slammed the door shut behind him. Leaving you to gape at his sudden temper tantrum. You turned to Erwin and Hange in disbelief. "What the hell was that? Am I missing something here?" You asked, confused at Levi's behavior.

         Hange sighed tiredly. She's been spending a lot of time trying to help Eren with his titan transformation. All they know is that inflicted pain activates Eren's titan. But other than that, they have nothing. "Erwin, any idea why he's acting like that?" She turned to Erwin.  Expecting him to be the one to explain the situation to you.

         You turned your head to Erwin expecting an answer. Erwin leant back on his seat and interlocked his fingers on top of the table. "This meeting is adjourned seeing that the plan isn't moving forward. Everyone can go back to their stations. We will schedule another meeting soon." 

         You didn't move an inch even when everyone else left the room. Leaving just you, Erwin, and Hange in complete silence. You sat back down and turned your attention completely towards Erwin. Still waiting for an explanation. "Well?" You probed.

         Erwin ran a hand across his face.  "He's just worried, (y/n)." He sighed. "Worried about what?" You replied unconvinced. Tapping a finger on the table rhythmically. Tap. Tap. Tap tap. Tap. Tap...

         "After what happened at Wall Maria, Levi has been," Erwin paused trying to find words. "- hesitant to place you on missions." He finally said. Memories of the sudden titan attack on Wall Maria flooded your head. Images of colleagues, friends, seniors, and juniors severely injured, some dead, flashed in front of your eyes. You closed your eyes and lightly shook your head. No. I can't feel this way right now. You thought to yourself.

         "The titan attack? I know what happened. I was there. But what does that have to do with Levi not wanting me to join the mission this time?" You replied, frustrated. Tap tap. Tap. Tap. Tap tap...

         "You almost died at Wall Maria." Hange said flatly. She adjusted her glasses before continuing. "He thought you died. And he went half crazy trying to find you. You know how protective he is of you."

         You huffed. "Yeah, I know. I'm his charity case. Someone he picked off the side of the road because I reminded him of where he came from." You muttered sarcastically as you thought back to how you first came across Captain Levi Ackerman.

-FLASHBACK-

         You were sitting on the sidewalk, rattling an empty can begging for spare change. An 18-year-old clad in ill fitting, dirty rags. You've been doing this for as long as you can remember. Ever since you left that rotten abusive orphanage. Barely scraping by day to day. But you kept going, hoping, praying, that someday your luck will turn around.

You looked up as a pair of brown leather boots stopped in front of you. A young man with black hair and pale complexion stared back at you. He dropped something in the can, the sound ringing in you ear. You took a glance inside and saw a pin with two wings overlapping. You blankly stared at it before lifting your head up. "Sir, I can't buy bread with this." You weakly said.

The young man crouched in front of you. He looked older than you, but not by a lot. His eyes, however, were similar to yours. Like he has seen hell and came back to tell the tale. "If you don't have anywhere else to go, would you like to join the Scout Regiment?" He asked plainly. As if he didn't care what your answer will be.

You've heard about the Scout Regiment, even a beggar like you knows what they are and what they do. Why would I escape a situation where I could die just to jump into another one? You thought to yourself. But despite what you thought, your dry chapped lips replied, "Yes." Weakly. But with determination. At least with this, I get to choose where I die and what I'll die for. You took the devil's hand.

You trained, day and night. You were always the first one in, and the last one out. You don't have the natural skills, but you worked hard. You are not gifted, but you were the best. So, when the time came for choosing regiments, and you chose to be a Scout, you saw Captain Levi Ackerman at the front smirking at you as you pledged the Scout's Oath. His expression strict, but his eyes showed warmth.

-PRESENT-

You scoffed at the memory. You climbed all the way up to your position in the Scouts. You deserve to be in the mission, you didn't have the skills and experience to back you up then. But now, after 4 years in the group, you know you could do this.

"He's not treating you as a charity case. He's just looking out for you." Erwin tried to pacify your growing temper. You turned your attention back to him and chuckled self-depreciatingly. "I can look out for myself. Thanks." You replied tucking a lose strand of hair behind your ear. "Look, Commander, you get the final decision. You know as well as I do that you need me there. I am head of the Scout medics. I am the best you've got." You said crossing your arms.

Erwin sighed and stood up. "I know. I'll talk to Levi." He replied and left the room. You furrowed your brows and turned to Hange. "Why does he have to talk to Levi? To get his permission to let me in on the mission? He's not my Squad captain anymore." You moodily muttered.

Hange shook her head, lightly chuckling. She stood up and patted you on the shoulder.  "Come on, let's go. I need you on standby for Eren's titan transformation training." She said while grabbing your arm to get you up. You grunted but let your friend pull you up. "Stop pouting." You heard Hange comment. You pulled your arm back from her grasp but continued to follow her outdoors.

A/N: Hello! This is my first AOT Fanfic! It's going to be a bit angsty, some fluff, romance, and lemons. 🍋 Don't say I didn't warn ya. *wink wink*.