Chapter 7 - Coffee Date

A high-pitched hiss had alerted Sam to move quickly. The bustling sounds of thick ceramic mugs hitting wooden surfaces, chairs skidding on the polished floor, ringing from the cash register and clinking spoons filled the warm atmosphere. The rich and sweet aromas produced by ground coffee, sweet caramel, cocoa beans and savory delights had permeated the air, accompanied by a low hubbub of chatter. 

Sam was wearing a dark green polo shirt and a navy cap that had a leaf-shaped emblem. He wore tan trousers underneath his navy-blue apron which seemed to wrap around his slim figure well. This also had the same emblem, along with a small white name tag on the left side of his chest. He was facing a rustic brick wall which had thick wooden shelves, holding up cans, pots, various utensils and other items. Behind him, was the rest of the shop floor which had both metal and wooden tables scattered around, with different colored chairs dotted around the place.

He clicked open the steam wand from its lock while pointing the barrel down to the bottom of a cup. He quickly reached for a carton of almond milk while pouring piping hot water into coffee grounds which were poured into the cup beforehand by another barista. He added fresh whipped cream on top, shaved walnuts and a drizzle of thick, orange caramel. Shortly after, he scribbled down some initials, turned around and passed the cup to a person and said, "Caramel latte with almond milk, extra whipped cream. Thank you for getting your coffee at Coleman's," followed by a brief and polite smile.

Sam was at his happiest when juggling four or five different orders. He liked remembering the different recipes that were now engraved into his brain after weeks of working there over the summer. He liked operating the various tools and machinery. He enjoyed wiping down the tables and sweeping up stray crumbs left by unwitting customers who came for their daily caffeine fix. It was the only time his mind wasn't muddied by destructive thoughts or past memories. He liked being useful, and even enjoyed the small talk he had with regulars who often left him an extra tip.

It was now 1 p.m. on a sunny afternoon and he was due for a break. The shop was now empty as people were heading for lunch. Sam turned to a thin, black-haired man who was wearing the same uniform as him and said, "Hey Luke, I'm going for my break now. Give me a shout if you need anything."

The young man replied, "Sure thing man."

As soon as he finished wiping down the stretch of wood which made up the counter, Sam glanced outside the large shop windows, providing him with a wide view of the street. He noticed a large black SUV with blacked out windows parked in front, blocking the view of the street behind. A slender, silver-haired gentleman dressed in a black suit, exited the vehicle and walked gracefully to the rear door. He reminded Sam of James, the driver and housekeeper for Katie's family. He grasped the metal handle while wearing elegant black gloves and opened it while stepping aside.

There he was. Mathew Krondstat in all his emerald-eyed glory. He was stylishly dressed in a light grey, unbuttoned blazer which subtly hugged the contours of his muscular physique. He looked more relaxed than that day in the lecture hall. He was not wearing a tie and the three top buttons of his crisp, white shirt were undone, revealing a tasteful amount of light, olive skin. This smart, yet relaxed style emphasized his prominent Adam's apple and sturdy jawline, which looked as strong as titanium. His striking, golden blonde hair was shaped elegantly across the side of his well-shaped head. Sam couldn't help but notice those deep blue-green eyes which seemed greener than blue compared to a few months back. His thin and casually pursed lips looked supple, much like his hands which were accessorized with a thin gun-metal gray band on the right hand and an elegant chronograph watch on the other. He took a few steps towards the entrance of the café in expensive-looking loafers which complimented the smart, tapered navy trousers which accentuated his long and athletic legs.