Chapter 4

The castle was buzzing, It was the morning of the equinox celebration. Out the window I could see streams of people arriving from all over the country. Ner had woken me up at the crack of dawn, my friend was actually looking forward for a party! I couldn't believe it. I think we all needed to celebrate and let go of the tension of the past week. No one had further mentioned the elephant in the room, Eden.

We each had a maid fussing over us, applying many different lotions and balms to our face. My hair had been styled half up half down, with the front pinned to the back in braids. My cat shaped eyes, had been winged with kohl. I looked over to my friend, her hair was in an elaborate up do, showing off her long graceful neck. She wore rose coloured droplet earrings, that matched the rouge on her plump lips. "What do you think?" She asked, noticing me looking. "You look absolutely stunning. Like a true princess" I teased.

The equinox began at noon, with the king making a speech to commence the party. Me and Thorin stood to his left a step behind him. Ivo and Nerida stood to his right. We were swarmed by guards, Cicero was taking no chances today.

The equinox was held outside, large gazebos had been put up. White wrought iron tables and chairs had been piled in. There were bouquets of flowers every where, fairy lights strung around all the gazebos giving of a beautiful glow. With the heavenly back drop of Stalrion castles manicured gardens, it looked magical. There were musicians and a singer, playing upbeat music that made my soul smile. Hundreds of people had poured in, even with it all being last minute.

Once the king had finished giving his speech, I went to get a drink. I grabbed a glass of the sweet wine and took a sip. I looked up to the sky, it was a clear day, the sun warmed my face. I closed my eyes, taking in the beautiful melody being played. After a moment I decided to find my friend and go dancing. Looking through the crowd, I noticed a lot of them were staring at me. I looked good today, I'd thought so myself when I caught a glance in the mirror, but it seemed they were looking at me with in disgust. I knew it's because of my heritage, because I looked so much like the Carathens that had killed here mere days ago.

I walked quickly over to where Nerida stood. Pulling her into my arms when i reached her. "Want to dance" I asked her. She looked like she was about to decline but noticed the desperation in my eyes. I couldn't stand around talking to people who openly disliked me. We held hands and walked over the the stretch of grass near the musicians. I saw another familiar face, Thorin was talking intimately with a beautiful woman with golden hair and light brown eyes. Her hand was on his toned arm and he was laughing leaning close to her. I felt a slight ripple of annoyance, but decided to forget about it.

Me and Ner danced freely to the beat still holding hands, twirling and spinning. We moved naturally, having both taken dancing lessons in the castle hall as children. I could feel people staring but did not care. After some time dancing a man approached, he was tall and handsome with chocolate brown hair. He bowed low to Nerida "I would be honoured if I could have the next dance, princess" he said. Ner looked like she was about to faint. She waited a moment before replying. I could tell she wanted to say no, but it would hardly be very gracious. She was the only remaining princess of Stalrion. She gave in and took his arm and he led her closer to the band. She turned around and looked at me anxiously. I laughed to myself.

I decided to wander around the estate for a while. I could see Thorin was still talking to the mystery woman, gazing at her hungrily. For some reason I couldn't bring myself to care. I walked down the long path and made my way to the small pond near where the forest started. When I arrived I sat down in the grass beside it, mindlessly picking up pebbles and throwing the in the water. Seeing the pond, covered in water lilies it brought back the memories of summer a few years past. Me, Ner and Thorin had snuck out in the evening and gone for a swim in the pond. It was a fond memory, not including how sticky the water was. Probably filled with frogs and gods knows what else, but we had laughed all night. When we returned to the castle, I went with Thorin to his rooms. We drank wine he had taken from the kitchens and chatted all night. That was the first night we slept together. It hadn't as perfect as I had imagined, it was awkward and quick, but it was both our first time and we were only seventeen.

I heard branches cracking nearby and span around, looking for the cause. I couldn't see anything, but had the distinct impression something was out there in the woodland. The hair on the back of my neck stood up and goosebumps covered my arms. I jumped up and walked quickly back to the party. 

As I approached I saw Thorin was now dancing with the golden haired lady. Ner was still dancing with her partner too. The king was sat at a table surrounded by guests. Ivo was no where to be seen, he'd probably returned to his chambers at the first moment possible. He hadn't wanted to come at all, still holding a grudge with his father.

I stared at my friends, watching there happy faces. Looking perfectly content. I couldn't help but feel like I was out of place.

Thanks for reading this far. I promise it's going to get exciting soon!