Chapter 4 | "not good enough"

Start from the beginning

"Our first offer will be going to Na Jaemin."

Jaehyun waited a moment as the crowd broke out into applause for the boy. Hyemi was able to pick him out from the way that his friends on the far side of the room were hugging him. Once the applause died down, Jaehyun cleared his throat again.

"And our final offer will be to... Lee Hyemi."

Hyemi started to politely applaud the second person when she froze in realization as the people around her started to congratulate her.

"Wait, did he just say..."

"Hye! Congrats! That's amazing!" Jeno exclaimed, crushing her in a hug. "I'm so proud of you!"

"Congrats, Hyemi, you deserve it. You were amazing." Yeji said to her with a genuine smile, but she could see the sadness on her face from not being offered anything.

"Aw Yeji," she pulled her new friend into a hug. "Thank you, and I'm sure you'll get it next year. Those judges were blind."

She pulled away with a smile just as Jichang also pulled her into a tight hug.

"Congrats, Hye! I'm just sad that we won't be all dancing together like we planned." He said sadly.

"What do you mean? We still all got offered by Taeyong." Hyemi replied as he let her go.

"You can't be serious that you're considering turning down Jaehyun's offer, right?" Jeno asked in shock.

"Well... I don't know honestly. Taeyong's team is really good and I know all of them, plus all of you guys will be there too!"

"Hyemi. We love you and would love to dance with you, but really think about what you're doing, okay? This is for your career as well, so don't make a rash decision. We want what's best for you." Jeno said with a smile.

"Thanks Jeno."

"Alright," they all looked back at the stage where Taeil was speaking again. "Now that all the offers have been made, to those of you who received none, thank you for your time and please come back next year. For those of you who did, congratulations! Each team will be needing your final decision by end of day tomorrow. That is all."

The students began to stand and clear out, her new friends congratulating her before heading out. Hyemi had a million thoughts in her head. She had been offered spots on all 3 dance teams and truthfully she didn't know what to do.

Part of her wanted to stay with her friends and brother. Shes known his teammates for years, she's always wanted to dance with him, and it was all going to plan for her and her friends, but there was something pulling at the back of her head telling her to wait.

Jaehyun's team was the best. And she would have to work really hard to maintain their standards but how could she pass up the opportunity? She wouldn't have her friends or her brother. The leader would be some cold, asshole dude. But she'd be on a team with champions who would push her to be better.

"Hye! Congrats!"

She was snapped out of her thoughts by her two brothers walking up to her and crushing her in a hug.

"You were amazing out there, sis!" Mark hi-fives her excitedly.

"Were so proud of you! And I just want to say that I'd love to have you on my team, but whatever decision you make, we'll support you, okay? Do what's best for you."

With a final hug from Taeyong the two boys left her alone in the auditorium. Soon a head popped into the doorway, Jeno standing in the hall and waiting for her.

"You coming, Hyemi?"

"I'll, uh, I'll meet you at home. There's something I still have to take care of here."

"Okay, see you later!"

As Jeno left, Hyemi was alone in the giant auditorium. She just stood there in silence for a moment, taking it all in and trying to clear her head.

"You know,"

She jumped at the sound of a voice coming from behind her, turning around to see Jaehyun walking from the shadows.

"I never thought I'd have a little Lee on my team, but you weren't... that bad. Practice starts right after school, so make sure you're on time. We have a lot to do and don't take well to late comers." Jaehyun sent her a cold glare as he began to walk out of the room.

"And what makes you think that I'll be joining you?"

Jaehyun froze mid step, turning around and walking to stand right in front of her.

"You're going to turn me down?" He spoke with a low growl.

"I-I don't know."

"Sweetheart, no one turns me or my team down. Do you even know who we are?" He asked with a condescending huff.

"Yeah...."

"Then what's your hold up? Are you just dumb or something?"

"You guys are national champions right?"

"Yup, the very best of the best. Number one team in Korea." She just slowly nodded her head in response.

"But what if I'm not good enough for the best of the best..." she muttered out to herself, the sound barely audible but Jaehyun heard it clearly.

"What did you say?"

"Nothing, nothing." Hyemi said quickly, straightening up. "I have until the end of the day to decide, so you'll know then."

"Whatever." Jaehyun scoffed out as he walked out of the room.

Letting out a sigh, she set down her stuff and looked around. She noticed that the lights were still on and pointed towards the stage. Carefully, she grabbed her phone, pulling up Thanks by Seventeen, and hooked it up to the speakers before making her way onto the stage.

As she looked out over the empty room, the lights shining down on her, she felt content. Her mind when numb as energy flowed into her muscles. With a click of a button the music started playing.

Her body moved with the sound like she did in the audition, a smile on her face as she danced. She felt the passion in every move she made. She felt so at home on the dance floor as she danced her emotions away.

It was peace for her. All the thoughts and worries she had earlier melted into the background and as she finished the piece, she felt refreshed, a warm smile on her face.

When the music ended, she let out a breath, going to sit at the front of the stage with her feet hanging off. As she caught her breath, she heard a slow clapping coming from the far right wall of the room.

Her head instantly snapped in the direction of the sound and once again Jaehyun walked towards her.

"Look, I don't say things like this often, but..." he paused, and she could see how he was clearly contemplating what to say, the discomfort written all over his face. "If you dance like that, you won't have any problems dancing with my team."

With a dip of his head, he turned on his heel and left the room. Hyemi was in shock. Did he just compliment me? It was by far the nicest thing he'd ever said to her, and only made her decision more complicated.

"What the hell am I gonna do?"