three

CASSANDRA HAD ENDED UP sleeping in till noon. Instead of waking up to the train chugging outside the Leaky Cauldron, she was awoken to a squabble between two very familiar voices. Using magic, she quickly rectified her hair and changed her clothes. Following the noise, she found her two friends, Ronald Weasley and Hermione Granger arguing as usual.

"When in my life will walk in on you two not arguing over anything?" Cassie commented, walking down the staircase to greet her friends.

"Cassie!" the two exclaimed in joy, running up to the foot of the stairs.

"Cas, my best friend, please talk some sense into Hermione," Ron said immediately as she reached them.

"What happened?" she asked calmly.

"Hermione's cat wants to eat Scabbers! Her cat already attacked my pet at the shop, yet she went ahead and bought that creature," Ron said spitefully, covering his pet rat, Scabbers protectively.

"A cat chases a rat, Ron! It how animals work!" reasoned Hermione, gently stroking her newly purchased pet.

"You bought a pet!" was all Cassandra exclaimed, her brows raised in surprise at her muggle-born witch of a friend.

"Yes! Now you are the only one without a pet Cassie! Let's go get you one too!" Hermione exclaimed excitedly.

"Oh no, it's alright. I'll co-parent your cat with you. What's its name?" she excused herself from Hermione's eagerness and changed the topic by asking her cat's name.

"Crookshanks! Isn't he a beauty?" she said, stroking her cat once again. The bushy-haired girl then handed the ginger cat – a little too huge to be called a cat but Cassandra just assumed that it was extremely healthy – to the Black. Cassie carefully held the cat in a comfortable and patted its head. But when she met the cat's yellow eyes, something extraordinary happened.

Cassie lost sight of her surroundings. She was transported to another world. She looked around. She wasn't at the Leaky Cauldron but she was somewhere familiar yet the girl couldn't point her finger – which was weird since she was a woman of photographic memory. Cassandra suddenly alerted herself to hearing footsteps. She turned around and found a jet-black haired woman walk up the stairs. She would have been in her early twenties but seeing the dark circles below her eyes, Cassie knew she had been stressed about something, making her look a little older than she was. When the woman walked right through her, Cassie realized she was in somebody's memory. Taking advantage of the situation, she decided to follow the lady. She walked behind the woman and found her walk into a room with two cribs. In the two cribs, she found two babies (who were not more than a year old) sleeping. Cassie and the woman watched the children sleeping peacefully, a smile creeping on both their faces.

"Julia, come and eat something," a woman said from the door, making both the woman – whose name must be Julia – and Cassandra turn. On seeing the lady at the doorway, a gasp left Cassie's lips.

"Coming Lily," Julia replied with a warm smile. Lily smiled back and left the doorway. And with that, Cassie was pulled out of the memory.

"Godric's Hollow. Julia." Cassie muttered; her eyes wide.

"Are you ok Cas?" A voice from behind Cassandra asked. She whirled around to face a redhead – particularly Fred – looking at her worriedly.

"Yeah! Yeah," Cassie said, nodding furiously. She quickly handed Crookshanks to Hermione and ran up the stairs, finding it very hard to control her excitement. Hermione, Fred and Ron watched the girl's weird behaviour in confusion. She had been in a daze for almost two minutes and had then welcomed a burst of energy, running up the stairs, leaving the three below, bewildered. Little they did know; Cassie had just had a possible vision of her mother.

Cassie spent almost the rest of the day locked up in her room, scanning through every piece of her memories to find anything related to a brunette woman named Julia. She left the room for food occasionally, but she never conversed with anyone there as well – which was a usual thing so no one suspected anything. Though Hermione did walk in later that evening to check up on the girl. Hermione was definitely worried about her best friend's state of wellbeing ever since her 'zone out' when she held Crookshanks to which Cassie replied that she was fine and the cat had merely reminded her of something extremely familiar.