Chapter 38

Chapter 38

Ron made an excellent cat. In fact, most teachers would say he undoubtedly made a much nicer kitten than pupil. Ron, on the other hand, disagreed, though he had yet to get back at the Potter Twin Souls. The fact that Charles had had a hand in the prank told him that he had really outstepped his bounds, and so he sulked quietly for a few weeks.

By the start of October, unfortunately, Ron was back to badmouthing Slytherins, and picking on Harry and Percy in particular. Hermione and Charles tried to stop their hot headed ginger friend, but Ron really wasn't having any of it.

Harry and Percy, Draco, Blaise and Theo, were having a right old time making Defence Against the Dark Arts as painful as possible for Lockhart, without losing them any points or being caught. Oh, Lockhart might know they're his culprits, but due to his lack of evidence, he was far from capable of stopping them.

Annabeth and Luna were slowly settling in. They had numerous friends in Ravenclaw, and even a few with the first year Slytherin's, after they're seen Draco – the Ice Prince of Slytherin – talking amicably to them. They hadn't told anymore people about them being a twin soul, but suspected their Ravenclaw and Slytherin friends may have started to guess.

Marcus Flint had kept Harry and Percy back at the end of an exhausting Quidditch practice to question them on Luna Chase. He had guessed after their slips when shouting at the Potters and him in the hospital wing, so Harry had little choice but to confirm his suspicions (Percy was still off in lala land from Harry flying on his broom).

Back at Camp Half-Blood, Leo Valdez was working on inventing magic and monster-proof technology, after Luna mentioning in passing conversation that the huge amounts of concentrated magic at Hogwarts and other Magical hubs for Witches and Wizards blew the circuits in modern technology. Leo figured that if he could invent a couple of phones, then hack them into all possible mobile networks to get almost a complete signal access anywhere on Earth then keeping in touch with Luna and Annabeth and Harry and Percy would be much easier. His wizarding friends had grinned at his idea, and encouraged their young friend to at least try, even if it took him a few years to get a working prototype.

And meanwhile all this fun and excitement was going on, everybody failed to notice a lonely little first year Gryffindor become more and more obsessed with a black Diary that would talk to her when she wrote in it. Nobody noticed as she started to lose a little weight and become paler and more tired with each passing week. Nobody noticed as she began to panic a little as she fell victim to sporadic periods of memory loss.

Percy's Point of View

Halloween was both our favourite and least favourite day of the year. It was brilliant, because of all the excitement and sweets and chocolate that was involved with celebrating it. It was awful too, however, because something bad always seemed to happen of Halloween. On our second ever Halloween, Voldemort attacked. The year after that the nursery in Potter Manor burned down when Charles experienced his first accidental magic. We got stuck in with the flames for a good few minutes, and only our magic kept us from dying. When we were five, a clan of Vampires decided to come fight with the local werewolf pack, and their Alpha died. When we were seven, someone managed to poison Charles' Trick-or-Treat chocolates. Last year the Troll was let into the school… Plenty of other things happened on all the other Halloweens, but those five are scarred the deepest into our memory.

So, we had asked ourselves, what's it going to be this year?

And the fates, being the melodramatic bored immortal goddesses that they are, decided to play with our lives even more. Because apparently we haven't been tormented enough!